This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

General Arenales District (Buenos Aires Province, Argentina)

Partido de General Arenales

Last modified: 2014-07-12 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: general arenales | partido de general arenales | alvarez de arenales (juan antonio) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of General Arenales District]
image by Ivan Sache, 23 Jan 2014
See also:

About the district

The District of General Arenales (14,876 inhabitants in 2001; 147,244 sq. km) is located in the north of the Buenos Aires Province, on the border with the Santa Fe Province, 320 km from Buenos Aires City. The district is made of the town of General Arenales (4,321 inh.), Arribeños (2,910 inh.), Ascensión (4,179 inh.), Estación Arenales (90 inh.), Ferré (2,004 inh.), La Angelita (265 inh.), and La Trinidad (308 inh.).

The District of General Arenales was established on 6 September 1889, with the agricultural center El Chañar, transferred from the District of Lincoln, as its capital. The District of Leandro N. Alem seceded from General Arenales in October 1918.

El Chañar was initially established in January 1850 as a fort watching the northern border. Commanded by Colonel Julián Berdúm, the fort was assaulted on 23 August 1850 by a band of more than 100 natives.

The district is named for General Juan Antonio Álvarez de Arenales (1770-1831), born in Reinosa (Spain) and deceased in exile in Maorya (Bolivia). A hero of the wars of independence, Arenas was Governor of Cochabamba, Commander General of the Forces of the Interior, Commander General of the Sierra and President of the Trujillo Department, Governor of Salta, Field Marshal of the Republic of Chile, Founder and Councillor of the Order of the Sun and Grand Marshal of Peru, and Brigadier General of the United Provinces of La Plata.
Ivan Sache, 23 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Description of the flag

The flag of General Arenales is vertically divided celestial blue- white-green with a roundish emblem in the middle. The emblem is made of a light blue sky with a yellow sun, at the left the part of a tractor's wheel and at the right green fields with fence. At the base of the emblem are placed a wheat spike, a soybean pod and a maize cob.

Celestial blue represents peace and tranquillity, white represents purity, and green represents the fertility of the soil. The tractor's wheel and the three main crops grown in the municipality recall that agriculture is the main source of income.
Ivan Sache, 23 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.