This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Newcastle (NSW, Australia)

Last modified: 2015-06-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: newcastle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


Newcastle, approximately 150km north of Sydney on the mouth of the Hunter River, is New South Wales' second largest city. Named after Newcastle-upon-Tyne in England, it was built on the local coal mines and the BHP steelworks. While the steelworks closed in 1999, it is still one of the largest coal exporting ports in the world. The present City was formed in 1938 from a merger of 12 councils.
Jonathan Dixon, 11 July 2008

Description of the Flag

I saw today flying from the City Hall in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australa a flag featuring the city arms on a [brown] over green bicolour.

According to Colin Randall, a Newcastle vexillologist, the colours are brown over green, taken from the shoulder patch of a Battalion raised in the Newcastle/Hunter region. He also understands that the City Council owns only three City flags.

The arms of the City were granted on 20 March 1961 and are presented at < >. The shield has a gold chief, containing a black diamond, a white sheep's fleece banded gold and a black wheel, representing the principla pursuits of the area: coal mining, farming and grazing, and industry and trade. Below this, the field is green, with a blue downward pointed triangle (pile) bordered gold, portraying a port with the waters of the sea thrusting into the green land. Fertility is emphasised by the gold border. The crest is a lighthouse, for the Nobby's Head lighthouse at the entrance to the harbour, and sits on a helmet with mural crown (city staus) and blue, green and gold mantling. The arms stand on a compartment depicting the golden sand and white waves of the city's beaches (with a scroll enscribed "Enterprise") and are supported by two seagulls with mural crowns (the setting and nature of the city).
Jonathan Dixon, 11-12 July 2008

The 35th Battalion, AIF was the only battalion using these colours on their patch to be raised in the Newcastle area (the others were the 3rd Battalion (raised in Werriwa), 19th Battalion (Sydney) and the 55th (raised generally within the state)). All battalions raised in NSW had part of their patch in green (Victoria - red, the rest of Australia - light blue); the other colour depended on the battalion's seniority within the brigade (in this case, the third battalion).

In 1921, the battalion was renamed 35th Battalion (Newcastle's Own).
Ian Sumner, 14 July 2008