This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Town of Bassendean (Western Australia)

Last modified: 2015-06-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: bassendean | coat of arms: broun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


According to the English Wikipedia, the Town of Bassendean is a a local government area in the northeastern suburbs of Perth, about 12 km northeast of the central business district. It covers 10.4 km² and had a population of 13.463 in the 2006 census. It began as the West Guildford Road Board in 1901, was renamed Bassendean Road Board in 1922, and became a Shire Council and then a Town in 1961 and 1975 respectively.
Valentin Poposki, 6 December 2008

Town flag

The council uses flags incorporating the “Town Crest”, which is the Broun family arms. The 1st Colonial Secretary Peter Broun was an early occupant of a homestead in the area, and named it Bassendean after his family's home in Berwickshire.

In May 2008, when new flags were proposed in response to a request from the local State Emergency Service, four councillors were in favour of ordering new flags with the arms (presumably the same design as already used), but reading between the lines there were concerns over whether the council was allowed to use the arms in this way. The decision was deferred until information on the use of the arms was obtained.

In December 2008, after it was confirmed that a family representative did not object to use of the arms (with correct colours), an order for 4 new flags incorporating the arms was approved. It was recommended that at least 3 be obtained - one to replace the worn one outside the Administration Centre, one as a spare, and one for the local State Emergency Service, whose request had brought up the issue in the first place.

Sources: Standing Committee meeting minutes, 20 May 2008
Standing Committee meeting minutes, 9 December 2008
Ordinary Council meeting minutes, 16 December 2008
History of Bassendean, council website consulted 2 May 2009
Jonathan Dixon, 2 May 2009

2008 proposals

The Town's Ordinary Council Meeting on 27 May 2008 discussed a proposal for a new flag and two alternative designs (available in the minutes) , in response to a request for a flag from the local State Emergency Service. The proposals all featured the towns "refreshed" logo. The original suggestion placed the logo on a white background with a complex border which is presumably part of the Council's standard branding. In the Standing Committee meeting on 20 May (minutes)>, this suggestion was amended to a plain logo on white proposal. At the Ordinary Council Meeting, an alternative with a black, blue, tan and green field, logo on the black, was also presented.

Ultimately, it was instead decided to order new flags with the existing design.
Jonathan Dixon, 2 May 2009