Last modified: 2007-11-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: gingelom | tower (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Gingelom - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 17 August 2005
The municipality of Gingelom (7,879 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 5,649 ha) is located in the south-west corner of Limburg, in the region of Haspengouw (in French, Hesbaye), bordering Flemish Brabant and Wallonia. The municipality of Gingelom is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Gingelom, Borlo (including Buvingen, Kerkom, Mielen-boven-Aalst and Muizen since 1970), Jeuk (in French, Goyée; including Boekhout since 1970), Montenaken (including Kortijs - in French, Cortis - and Vorsen - in French, Fresin - since 1970) and Niel-bij-Sint-Truiden. The three bigger villages of Gingelom, Jeuk and Montenaken represent half of the population of the municipality. All the other villages have less than 350 inhabitants.
Source: Municipal website
The celebrity of Gingelom is Baron Erasme Louis Surlet de Chokier
(1769-1839). Surlet studied with the Jesuits and should have became a
priest. However, he preferred political action and took part in 1789 to
the revolution against the Prince-Bishop of Liège and to the Brabant revolution against Austria. He later rallied the French Republic and
Napoléon. Back to Belgium, he was one of the leaders of the Belgian
opposition in the Dutch Parliament and was nicknamed "Surlet de
After the independence of Belgium, Surlet was elected on 11 November 1830 President of the National Congress. In March 1831, he was appointed Regent of Belgium and can therefore be considered as the first ruler of independent Belgium. He ceded the power to Leopold I, first King of the Belgians, on 21 July 1831.
Surlet has been widely forgotten and the inhabitants of Gingelom have decided to honour him with a beer called "De Chokier", brewed in Gingelom, where Chokier had his castle.
Source: De Chokier website See also: Michel Géoris. Le premier souverain de Belgique, le Régent Surlet de Choquier. Editions Luc Pire (2001)
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2007
The municipal flag of Gingelom is white with a blue tower.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 23 January 1989, confirmed by the Executive on 9 May 1989 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 8 November 1989.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms.
The arms of Gingelom are the former arms of Montenaken, which recall a castle built in the XIIth century, of which nothing has remained today.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 17 August 2005