Last modified: 2013-06-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: alveringem | lion (black) | saltire (green) | hop cones | izenberge |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Alveringem - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 17 July 2005
The municipality of Alveringem (4,955 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 8,001 ha) is located 25 km north-west of Ieper, 10 km south-west of Veurne and 10 km north-east of the border with France. The municipality of Alveringem is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Alveringem (including Hoogstade, Oeren and Sint Rijkers since 1970), Leisele (including Gijverinkhove and Izenberge since 1970) and Stavele (including Beveren since 1970).
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2005
The municipal flag of Alveringem is vertically divided, blue with three
hop cones placed 2 + 1, and yellow with a black lion with a red tongue
and claw with a green saltire superimposed to the lion.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel [w202], the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 19 June 1980, confirmed by Royal Decree on 10 December 1980 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 3 February 1981. It is a banner of the municipal arms.
The hop cones, also shown on the flag and arms of Poperinge, recall the local traditional production of hop and the lion is the official lion of Flanders.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 17 July 2005
Flag of Izenberge, unconfirmed - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 May 2008
Izenberg is known for its Marian pilgrimage chapel. Already reported
in the 14th century, the Izenberg pilgrimage was boosted in the
17th century by a series of miracles that started in 1633. In
1772-1774, the chapel was decorated in Classic style.
A photo shows vertically divided blue-white flags hoisted in front of the chapel (two poles) and above its entrance. I cannot decide whether these flags represent the former flag of Izenberge, following the "classical" bocolour pattern found in several places in Belgium, or are simply Marian flags showing the colours traditionally associated with the Blessed Virgin.
Ivan Sache, 4 May 2008