Last modified: 2019-10-21 by ian macdonald
Keywords: bahia | cotegipe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 1 September 2019
Cotegipe was established in 1820, as Campo Largo. In 1925, the municipality
was renamed to Bar„o de Cotegipe, subsequently shortened to Cotegipe.
The town's namesake, Jo„o MaurŪcio Wanderley (1815-1889), Baron of Cotegipe, was President of the Province of Bahia (1853-1866), Senator (1846-1889), President of the Council of Ministers (1885-18888), and President of the Bank of Brazil (1888-1889).
The flag was designed in 1990 by Jarildes de Jesus Matos de Souza (b. 1972), then student at Colťgio Estadual Jutahy Magalh„es, winner of a contest open to the town's educational institutes.
The flag is horizontally divided into two equal parts. The upper, blue part represents the sky, while the lower, green part, represents the big forests and mango groves that surround the town. They were mostly located on the banks of the river that divides Cotegipe, supplying at the time abundant water used to shower and for laundry, and now lifeless because of deforestation.
The semi-circle represents Rio Grande that waters the municipality and is a significant source of income for its neighbors, who live from fishing and agriculture, mainly in the districts of JupaguŠ and TaguŠ.
The bigger, central star represents the seat of the municipality. The middle-sized star represents JupaguŠ, and the smaller star represents TaguŠ.
http://cotegipe-page.blogspot.com/2011/09/historia-da-bandeira-de-cotegipe.html, Cotegipe-P@ge blog
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019