This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Serra, Espírito Santo (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: espirito santo | serra | mountain | lighthouse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Serra, ES (Brazil)] image by Blas Delgado Ortiz

See also:

About the Flag of Serra

At you can find the flag of Serra, a city in Espí Santo.
Olivier Touzeau, 8 July 2002

Serra means "mountain range" or "saw" (the tool).
Jorge Candeias, 8 July 2002

The municipality of Serra (409,324 inhabitants in 2010; 553 sq. km) is located in coastal central Espírito Santo, 30 km of Vitória.

Serra was founded in 1556 by the Jesuit father Brás Lourenço and the local chief Maracaiaguaçu, as Aldeia de Nossa Senhora da Conceição da Serra. The initial population was made of Portuguese colonists, African slaves and natives. Brás Lourenço obtained from the Province government the allocation of several plots of waste lands ("sesmarias") to the natives. Serra was made a district on 24 May 1752, a "vila" in 1822 and a "cidade" in 1875. The municipality of Serra was created by Resolution of the Government Council on 2 April 1833 and inaugurated on 19 August 1833. On 19 March 1849, the slaves revolted in Queimado, led by the heroes Chico Prego, João da Viúva and Elisiário. This was the main slaves' revolt in Espírito Santo.

The symbols of Serra were adopted in 1975 after a public contest. They were officially unveiled on 28 May 1975. The flag, selected among 27 proposals, was designed by Serra-born Evaldo Vizeu Barcellos, then a 25-years old student. The upper stripe, green, represents the forests. The lower stripe, blue, represents the sea. The broader central stripe, white, represents peace. The emblem placed in the white stripe includes two yellow half moons, representing the tropical climate and the place's original name. In the background is Mestre Álvaro Hill, significant for sea navigation and tourism, also a symbol of highness, beauty and strength. In front of the hill, a factory with a chimney represents civil building and the municipal industrial complex.

The municipal website shows a flag with significant differences (proportions, placement of the half moons, shape of the hill...) with the image shown above. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 22 January 2012