This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Guaçuí, Espírito Santo (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: espírito santo | guaçuí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Guaçuí, ES (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 16 January 2012

based on 

See also:

About the Flag

Designed by the heraldist Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Farias, the flag is quartered in a form of cross, the quarters are blue, constituted by yellow stripes superimposed on red stripes, crossing in the center of the flag. On this point is placed a rhombus where the municipal coat of arms is positioned. The cross (a common element in Brazilian municipal flags) is for the Christian spirit of the people. The Coat of arms represents the municipal government, the rhombus the city. As to the colors, yellow symbolizes wealth, red patriotism and courage, blue justice and loyalty. [See Symbolism in Brazilian Municipal Heraldry--Ed.]
André Pires Godinho, 22 March 2003

Blue field, upright centred red cross, fimbriated yellow; on a white centred diamond the municipal arms.

Official website at The flag is shown on Wikipedia atçu%C3%AD.

Dirk Schönberger, 25 March 2010

The municipality of Guaçuí (27,851 inhabitants in 2010; 468 sq. km) is located in southern Espírito Santo, on the border with Rio de Janeiro State. The municipality is made of the town of Guaçuí proper and of the three rural districts of São Pedro de Rates, São Miguel do Caparaó and São Tiago.

Guaçuí originates in the village of São Bom Jesus do Livramento, renamed São Miguel do Veado when erected a district of the municipality of Alegre in 1866, and Veado when erected a municipality in 1928. The municipality was renamed Siqueira Campos in 1931 and Guaçuí in 1943. The municipalities of Divino de São Lourenço and Dores do Rio Preto seceded from Guaçuí in 1963. Guaçuí was named for Tupi words meaning "The Deers' Water". - Municipal website

The coat of arms of Guaçuí is made of a Samnitic shield surmounted with an eight-towered mural crown argent ports gules. The shield is blue with a Swiss-styled escutcheon argent in chief. River Veado is represented to recall the old name of the town, São Miguel de Veado. The shield is surrounded by branches of maize and coffee, the main products of the local, fertile soil. A scroll gules, symbolizing dedication, patriotic commitment, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance, is inscribed in argent (silver) with the name of the municipality and the municipal motto "SURGE ET AMBULA"*, surrounded by the date of political emancipation, "25 DE DEZEMBRO 1928" (25 December 1928).

* "Get up and Walk", as ordered by Christ to resurrected Lazar (Matt. IX, 5).

Ivan Sache, 16 January 2012