Last modified: 2012-02-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | cássia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dirk Schönberger, 17 June 2010
Vertically divided 1:2 purplish brown and red, with a large disk counterchanged, and on the red (hoist) half the badge of the municipality.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 June 2010
The municipality of Cássia (17,428 inhabitants in 2010; 644 sq. km) is
located in south-southwestern Minas Gerais, 400 km of Belo Horizonte.
Cássia was settled around 1750 in an area disputed for its gold resources between the Minas Gerais and São Paulo States - the dispute was solved only in 1936. The place was well-known to muleteers, mules being then the main means of transport in Brazil, used to ship gold to the sea ports and all kinds of goods to the towns of the hinterland. In the beginning of the 19th century, the exhaustion of gold mines caused emigration and development of agricultural and cattle-breeding around São Paulo. Cássia, located in the Rio Grande valley, became a small nucleus of colonization. The town was soon the place of one of the most important cattle market in southern Minas Gerais. In 1855, the small village of Santa Rita de Cássia was made a district of the municipality of Passos; in 1890, the "vila" of Cássia became a municipality, seceding from Passos.
The symbols of Cássia were created by a design agency from Belo Horizonte, commissioned by Municipal Law No. 427 of 30 November 1970.
http://www.cassia.mg.gov.br/bandeira.php - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2012