Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: quatipuru | pará |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
9 February 2012
Source: based on http://www.cnm.org.br/municipio/hino_brasao.asp?iIdMun=100115100
A dark blue triangle descending from the top of the flag on a dark green field, with the municipal centerd.
Official website at
http://www.quatipuru.pa.gov.br. On the official site is shown a flag
variant, which I have not yet drawn, at
Dirk Schönberger, 16 February 2011
The municipality of Quatipuru (12,411 inhabitants in 2011; 324 sq. km) is located in northeastern coastal Pará, 220 km of Belém. Quatipuru is one of the two most recent municipalities in Pará. In 1633, the fisher Raimundo Alves Piranha, expelled from Caeté, sailed upstream River Caeté to found a new settlement. Caeté was subsequently abandoned by its inhabitants for the new village, which had 13 huts and 78 inhabitants in 1653. The village was renamed Valentim in 1696 as a tribute to the valiance of the numerous capybaras living there. With 316 inhabitants in 1838, Valentim was renamed Quatipuru (lit. "Coati") in 1845.
The municipality of Quatipuru was
established in 1955 by State Law No. 1,127, seceding from the municipality of Capanema. On 4 October 1955, The Federal Supreme Court rejected the Law,
deemed unconstitutional, so that Quatipuru remained a district of Capanema.
The municipality of Primavera, established on 29 December 1961, eventually
incorporated Quatipuru. On 21 April 1994, the inhabitants of Quatipuru
massively (95%) voted for the municipal emancipation of the town, which was
achieved by State Law No. 5,859 of 5 October 1994 following a Bill tabled by
State Representative Gervásio Bandeira. The new municipality was inaugurated
on 1 January 1997.
The symbols of Quatipuru were designed by Ednaldo Gomes e Silva, commissioned by the first Mayor of Quatipuru, Ranulfo Teixeira Cavalcante, aka Vital (d. 2005).
The flag of Quatipuru is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 9 of 30 April 1997. The flag is framed and divided by yellow lines representing the resources of the municipality. Two yellow lines linking the upper corners of the flag to the midpoint of the lower edge of the flag separate a blue triangle from the green background. Blue represents the sea while green represents the forests. The flag is charged in the middle with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Quatipuru is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 3 of 30 April 1997. The shield is outlined in blue and divided horizontally yellow-white by a blue line. The upper, yellow part shows a Cutiribá Tree*, representing the foundation of the town, surrounded by two coatis ("quatipurus"), the namesakes of the municipality. The lower, white part, is charged with two fishes and a crab, representing the economical potential of the municipality. The shield is surrounded by a green border, representing the forests, charged with the writing "MUNICIPIO DE QUATIPURU, the words being separated by four stars representing the four main settlements in the municipality. The shield is placed on two scrolls, the first with curly points and charged with the motto "Trabalho, Produção e Renda"**, the second with the points wrapping inside, charged with a yellow star representing the seat of the municipality, surrounded by the years "1633" - the year of foundation of Quatipuru, and "1997" - the year of establishment of the municipality.
*The Cutiribá Tree (Lucuma rivicola Gaertn.) emblematic of Quatipuru, said to have grown in Raimundo Alves Piranha's backyard fell down on 13 February 2003. A young tree was planted by Ranulfo Teixeira Cavalcante on the same site as a tribute to the history of the place.
**Work, Production and Income
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2012