Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | barracão |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A white saltire on a field quartered red (hoist), green (top and bottom) and blue (fly), with the municipal shield centred on white rectangle.
Official website at http://www.barracao.pr.gov.br.
Dirk Schönberger, 6 July 2011
The municipality of Barracão (9,737 inhabitants in 2010; 164 sq. km) is
located in southwestern Paraná. The town is located on the triple border with
the Santa Catarina State and Argentina, forming a single urban area with the
towns of Dionísio Cerqueira (Santa Catarina) and Bernardo de Irigoyen
(Argentina). The municipality is formed of the town of Barracão proper and of
the district of Siqueira Belo. Barracão was founded on 4 July 1903 by General
Dionísio Cerqueira, Chief of the Commission for the Border Demarcation
between Brazil and Argentina. The first inhabitants of the new settlement was
the telegraphist Misael Siqueira Bello. The fertility of the soils and the
availability in timber wood attracted several colonists from Rio Grande do
Sul and Santa Catarina, who developed cultivation of cereals, tobacco and
sugarcane. The district of Dionísio Cerqueira, with its seat located in
Barracão and belonging to the municipality of Clevelândia, was established in
1914. Two years later, Santa Catarina and Paraná agreed on the border between
the two states, Barracão being divided by an arbitrary line in two parts each
allocated to one state, named Dionísio Cerqueira and Barracão, respectively.
The municipality of Barracão was established by State Law No. 790 of 14
November 1951 and inaugurated 14 December 1952.
The three-towered mural crown surmounting the shield stands for a town seat of a municipality. The shield is surrounded by plants of maize (sides), wheat and beans (bottom), representing agriculture. The swords on a red background represents the battles that took place in the region when crossed by the Prestes Column rebels* and the stars form the Southern Cross. Our Lady of the Apparition [depicted in the 2nd quarter] is the patron saint of Barracão. The border stone [depicted in the 3rd quarter] represents our triple border. On the scroll, the date "14-12-1952" is the date of establishment of the municipality. The Latin motto "Audentes fortuna juvat" means "Fortune favours the bold"**.
*The Prestes Column was a social rebel movement led by Luis Carlos Prestes (1898-1990), active in Rio Grande do Sul and Paraná in 1925-1927,
** Quoted from Virgil's "Aeneid", X, 284.
Photos of the flag:
http://www.barracao.pr.gov.br/?content=not&id=185 [also featuring the local beauty queens!)
Ivan Sache, 11 February 2012