Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | carambeí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Divided per bend sinister, yellow, a blue-white-blue stripe, white, a red-white-red stripe, green, with the white areas matching up to form a stretched cross, with the municipal arms centred on the resulting white parallelogram.
Official website at http://www.carambei.pr.gov.br
Dirk Schönberger, 10 July 2011
The municipality of Carambeí (19,171 inhabitants in 2010; 650 sq. km) is
located in central eastern Paraná, 100 km of Curitiba. Carambeí is named for a
Gurani Tupi word meaning Turtles' River. Founded in 1713, the Carambeí estate
was mismanaged by its owner, José Goes, who had to sell it. Several landlords
successively owned the estate until 1854, when it was purchased by the Brazil
Railways Company. On 4 April 1911, the Dutch emigrants Leonardo Verschoor and
Jan Vriesman were granted a piece of land located in the place called
Carambeí. They were joined on 11 December 1911 by other Dutch emigrants. In
1916, the "De Geus & Co." company started to produce cheese; in 1925, seven
associates established the "Cooperativa Hollandesa de Laticínios", one of the
first cooperative companies set up in Brazil. The company was subsequently
renamed "Cooperativa mista Batavo Ltda" (1941) and "Cooperativa de Laticínios
do Paraná Ltda" (1 March 1954).
The flag of Carambeí is a combination of the flags of Brazil and the Netherlands, reflecting the Dutch colonization within the Brazilian state. The upper left triangle, borrowed from the Brazilian flag, is yellow, representing the mining resources of Brazil at the time of colonization. The lower right triangle, borrowed from the Brazilian flag, is green, representing the Brazilian primary forest and the productivity of the municipality. The colors of the diagonal stripes comes from the Brazilian (white and blue) and the Dutch (blue, white and red) flags. The white lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms, using a color common to the Brazilian and Dutch flags, represents peace among the nations.
http://www.carambei.pr.gov.br/?q=node/25 - Municipal website
The coat of arms of Carambeí includes a Portuguese shield as commonly used in Brazilian heraldry. The five-towered castle [mural crown] surmounting the shield represents the seat of the municipality as well as the municipal power, authority and law. The upper field of the shield depicts on a white field a yellow rising sun with orange rays. The sun disc is inscribed at the top with "GRAÇAS A DEUS" (To the Grace of God) in black, representing the acknowledgement to God for the granting of a fertile soil and for everything received from Him promising a prosperous future. The lower part of the field depicts the Campos Gerais, a very fertile area crowded with agricultural estates and high technology. The brown lines shown on the right of the scene, on the bank of the river, represents the cradle of direct sowing. The man driving the tractor represents the big potential of work of the inhabitants of Carambeí. Below the tractor is depicted Turtles' River, the namesake of the early district at the origin of the municipality. The stylized araucaria standing in the middle of the shield is the symbol of Paraná. The lower left field is charged with a windmill recalling the Dutch origin of the municipality. The lower right field is charged with a bird, a pig and a milk cow, representing the production and transformation of products of animal origin. The shield is surrounded dexter with a plant of wheat and a branch of soybean, and sinister with a plant of maize, all fructed, representing the crops of the region. A blue scroll with swallow-tailed points is inscribed with the name of the municipality surrounded by the dates "13-12-95" - the date of municipal emancipation - and "1997", the year of inauguration, all in white [but shown in black on the drawing].
http://www.carambei.pr.gov.br/?q=node/24 - Municipal website
Photo showing the flag: http://www.carambei.pr.gov.br/?q=node/1205 - 14 June 2011, Centenary Festival
Ivan Sache, 12 February 2012