Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | clevelândia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A horizontal triband, green-white-green, with a municipal logo centred overlapping all three stripes.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 July 2011
The municipality of Clevelândia (17,232 inhabitants in 2010; 705 sq. km)
is located in central southern Paraná, on the border with Santa Catalina, 400
km of Curitiba. The municipality is made of the town of Clevelândia proper
and of the two districts of Coronel Firmino Martins (Rincão Torcido) and São
Francisco de Salles (Campo Alto). Clevelândia is located in an area once
disputed between Brazil and Argentina, eventually allocated to Brazil in
1895, after arbitration by President of the USA Grover Cleveland (1837-1908;
President, 1885-1889 and 1893-1897). The town originates in the camp of
Palmas de Baixo, established to protect the border during the Paraguayan War.
The hamlet of Bela Vista de Palmas was established by Provincial Law No. 789
of 16 October 1884; made a municipality by Provincial Law No. 28 of 28 June
1892, it was renamed Clevelândia by Provincial Law No. 862 of 29 March 1909.
The municipality was suppressed by Decree-Law No. 5,812 of 13 September 1943
that established the Iguaçu Federal Territory. When the territory was
suppressed, Clevelândia was incorporated into Paraná by Decree-Law No. 533 of
21 November 1946.
The flag of Clevelândia, designed by Major Ramão Marques, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 634 of 1 July 1970. The flag is green with a white stripe in the middle, representing River Chopim. In the middle of the white stripe, a blue disk is charged with the year of foundation of the municipality, "1892", in white, and surrounded with a yellow cogwheel representing industry. The three yellow thunderbolts issuing from the cogwheel represents the electric power supplied by river Chopim.
[The symbol in the middle of the flag is *not* the municipal coat of arms, which was adopted later, by Municipal Law No. 678 of 3 July 1972.]
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2012