This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Paranavaí, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | paranavaí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Paranavaí, PR (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 9 September 2011
See also:

About the Flag

A yellow flag with the municipal arms centred.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 9 September 2011

The municipality of Paranavaí (82,116 inhabitants in 2010; 1,202 sq. km) is located in northwestern Paraná, on the border with the São Paulo State, 500 km of Curitiba.

Paranavaí, named by Manoel Ribas for the rivers Paraná and Ivaí, was resettled in 1944 after the failure of the district of Montoya, established in 1929 by the "Companhia Brasileira de Viação e Comércio" to develop coffee cultivation. The Paranavaí colony started with 80 houses and 500 inhabitants. The municipality of Paranavaí was established by State Law No. 790 of 14 December 1951, seceding from Mandaguari, and inaugurated on 14 December 1952.

The coat of arms of Paranavaí was designed by Genésio Batista. The shield is of rounded-off Portuguese style, "Quartered by a cross azure, 1. White a handshake of the same, 2. Argent an open book of the same over a flaming torch proper, 3. Argent a coffee plant fructed gules cantoned sinister with a gear wheel, 4. Vert a river argent per bend sinister cantoned by five stars of the same 2 + 3." The shield surmounted by a mural crown or charged in the middle with an escutcheon argent. The shield surrounded dexter by a plant of cotton and sinister by a branch of coffee the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed "IN FIDE UNITATIS LABORIS ET SCIENTIAE / CIVITAS INTER PRIMARIAS QUINQUE BRASILIAE".

The Latin cross symbolizes the Christian faith and its color represents the Brazilian sky, also featured in the national flag. The first quarter depicts a handshake on an immaculate background, symbolizing the purity of the feelings and the high ideals of the inhabitants. The second quarter shows an open book, the heraldic symbol of knowledge, over a torch, the symbol of light and progress, the whole representing the schools and spiritual activities of the inhabitants. The third quarter depicts a coffee plant, the basic element of the local agriculture, and a gear wheel, representing work and the merging local industry; the field argent emphasizes the abundance of crystalline water on the municipal territory. The fourth quarter is green to recall the coffee plantations and the vegetation. The rivers are the namesakes of the municipality. The five stars symbolize the five towns with the best progress index, which were granted an honour diploma by the Brazilian Institute of Municipal Administration; the diploma was presented on 19 October 1956 in Rio de Janeiro by President of the Republic Juscelino Kubstchek de Oliveira to the Mayor of Paranavaí, José Vaz de Carvalho. The motto means "Through the faith to unity and work and through science, one of the five first towns of Brazil".
Ivan Sache, 21 Februry 2012

Variant flag

[Flag of Paranavaí, PR (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 21 February 2012
The image shown on the Wikipedia source page shows the coat of arms in full colours.

Ivan Sache, 21 Februry 2012