Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | piraí do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
An off-centred red cross bordered white, bearing a white disk with the municipal arms.
Official website at
http://www.piraidosul.pr.gov.br. The flag is shown on Wikipedia at
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pira%C3%AD_do_Sul. The flag law is found at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 September 2011
The municipality of Piraí do Sul (23,425 inhabitants in 2010; 1,403 sq. km)
is located in central eastern Paraná, 180 km of Curitiba. Piraí do Sul was
settled in the early 17th century by Father Lucas Rodrigues França, the son
of Governor João Rodrigues França. His estate was located near river Piraí.
The settlement that developed nearby was named Bairro da Lança. The hamlet of
Senhor Menino Deus de Piraí, part of the municipality of Castro, was
established by Provincial Law No. 329 of 12 April 1872. The municipality of Piraí was established by Provincial Law No. 631 of 5 March 1881 and
inaugurated on 24 July 1882. Renamed Mirim in 1943, the municipality was
eventually named Piraí do Sul by State Decree-Law No. 2 of 10 October 1947.
The symbols of Piraí do Sul, designed by Arcinoê Antonio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 391 of 13 October 1975. The flag is of dimension 14 units on 20 units; quartered by red stripes of 1 units in width. A white disk of 8 units in circumference, charged with the municipal coat of arms, is placed over the intersection of the stripes, 6 units from the hoist. The cross symbolizes the Christian faith. The coat of arms represents the municipal government, placed on a disk symbol of eternity. White symbolizes peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. The red stripes fimbriated with white stripes [not mentioned in the description of the flag] represent the municipal power spreading over the whole municipal territory. Red symbolizes dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidness, courage and valiance. The green quarters represent the rural estates present on the municipal territory. Green symbolizes honor, civility, courtesy, joy and abundance. Green is the color of hope, exhibited in spring by greening fields promising profuse harvests. Among other prescriptions of use, the Law states that the old flags should be burned, except one copy of greater significance, to be deposited in the Municipal Historical Museum.
The coat of arms is blazoned as follows:
"A Samnitic shield surmounted with an eight-towered mural crown argent port gules, Argent a bovine sable surrounded by two stylized araucarias vert, in base a fess wavy azure three fishes natant argent above a spear sable, chief azure a Star of Bethlehem argent. The shield supported by two pioneers ["bandeirantes"] proper in typical clothes (...). A scroll gules inscribed argent the toponym 'Piraí do Sul' surrounded by the date '5 de março 1881."
The Samnitic shield, the first style of shield introduced to Portugal from France, was inherited by the Brazilian heraldry as a symbol of the colonizing race and main component of our nation. The mural crown is the universal symbol of government, with eight towers standing for a town of 2nd rank, that is the seat of a county ("comarca"). Argent (silver) is the symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. The bovine sable (black) represents cattle-breeding, a main activity in the municipality and the rationale for the colonization of the place. Sable (black) is the symbol of austerity, prudence, wisdom, moderation and strong-mindedness. The araucarias vert (green) are the symbol of Paraná, recalling that timber extraction and transformation was and still is a main source of income. Green represents honor, civility, courtesy, joy and abundance, representing fields greening in spring and promising profuse harvests. The fess wavy azure (blue) with the fishes argent (white) represents the name of the municipality, in native language Fish River, making the arms canting. The spear sable (black) recalls the incidental finding of a spear dating back from the Missions' War. The chief azure (blue) with the Star of Bethlehem symbolizes Jesus Christ, the patron saint of the town, highlighting the Christian faith of the inhabitants. Blue is the symbol of justice, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty. The pioneers supporting the shield recalls the colonization of the region. The scroll gules is charged with the date of political emancipation of the municipality, 5 March 1881.
Ivan Sache, 21 February 2012