Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | terra roxa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A deep yellow flag, with the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 3 October 2011
The municipality of Terra Roxa (16,300 inhabitants in 2010; 801 sq. km) is
located in western Paraná, on the border with Mato Grosso do Sul, 650 km of
Curitiba. The municipality is made of the town of Terra Roxa proper and of the
districts of Santa Rita (established by Law No. 99 of 24 January 1964) and Alto
Alegre (established by Law No. 46 of 16 June 1976). Terra Roxa was settled in
1955 by the Londrina- based "Companhia Ipiranga", subsequently renamed "Companhia
de Colonização e Desenvolvimento Rural" (CODAL). The place was first settled on
15 December 1955 by the families of Nilo Benigno Faya Corte and Sebastião Leão.
Father Rafael Pivetti celebrated a first mass on 15 January 1956 after the
inauguration of Hotel Maracaju. The district of Terra Roxa d'Oeste, part of
Guaíra, was established by State Law No. 45 of 3 October 1956. The municipality
of Terra Roxa was established by State Law No. 220 of 14 December 1961. Th name
of Terra Roxa ("Purple Soil") is odd since the local soil is red and not purple.
This name was indeed, erroneously, derived by the Brazilian colonists from
"terra rossa" ("Red Soil"), the name given to this type of soil by the Italian
colonists who developed coffee cultivation on this soil.
The flag of Terra Roxa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 71 of 16 October 1986. The flag is 0.95 m on 1.45 m. Yellow represents the resources of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Terra Roxa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 72 of 16 October 1986. The shield is made of five parts representing agriculture, cattle-breeding, religion, education and commerce. The shield is surrounded by branches of cotton and coffee. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown as a symbol of the seat of a county ("comarca").
The flag can be seen on photos taken during the civic parade held on 7 September 2011.
http://www.terraroxa.pr.gov.br/portal/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=viewcategory&catid=16&startpage=2&Itemid=73#category - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 February 2012