This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Duas Barras, Rio de Janeiro State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | duas barras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Duas Barras, RJ (Brazil) image located by Dirk Schönberger, 14 October 2011

See also:

Description of the Flag

Vertical triband blue-white-blue, with the municipal arms in the white stripe.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 October 2011

The municipality of Duas Barras (10,933 inhabitants in 2010; 375 sq. km) is located in central Rio de Janeiro State, 180 km of Rio de Janeiro. Duas Barras originates in the Tapera Estate, which developed near a chapel built in 1834 by the Brotherhood on Our Lady of the Conception on a plot of land offered by Father Francisco José de Oliveira. The commune of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Duas Barras do Rio Negro was established by Provincial Law No. 92 of 24 October 1856. The municipality of Duas Barras was established by Provincial Law No. 233 of 8 May 1891, seceding from Cantagalo. The main famous child of Duas Barras is the singer Martinho José Ferreira (b. 1934), better known as Martinho da Vila (for its affiliation samba school Vila Isabel).

The coat of arms of Duas Barras is "Quarterly, 1. Argent a church of the same masoned sable, 2. Azure a star or, 3. Azure three stars or per bend sinister, 4. Argent a bovine's head of the same outlined sable, in base vert two river confluences of the first". The shield surmounted by a five-towered mural crown argent. The shield flanked dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and sinister by a plant of maize fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll argent outlined sable inscribed in letters sable "1834 - DUAS BARRAS - 1891". The church represents the religious faith. The big star represents the town of Duas Barras proper, the seat of the municipality. The three smaller stars represent the districts of Monnerat, Fazenda do Campo and Vargem Grande. The bovine represents cattle breeding,a min source of income in the region. The base represents the confluence of river Rezende with the Black river and Córrego do Baú, the namesake of the municipality (lit. "Two confluences"). The mural crown stands for a "cidade". The coffee branch recalls that the municipality was once of the main coffee producers in the Rio de Janeiro State. It is also a main exporter of maize. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 12 March 2012