This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ajuricaba, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2014-06-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | ajuricaba |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ajuricaba, RS (Brazil) image by Paulo RS Menezes, 29 May 2014

See also:

Description of the Flag

Based on, the municipality of Ajuricaba (7,255 inhabitants in 2010; 32,324 ha) is located 30 km north-west of Ijui and 450 km north-west of Porto Alegre. Ajuricaba is named for an Amazonian cacique of the Manaos tribes. In the beginning of the 17th century, he set up an alliance with the Dutch against the Portuguese. To prevent a Dutch invasion of the Rio Negro valley, the Portuguese attacked the Manaos. Captured in 1727, Ajuricaba committed suicide by drowning during his transfer to Belém. Ajuricaba has remained an archetypical freedom fighter both for the natives and the Portuguese.

Ajuricaba was established by German and Italian immigrants, coming from old colonies of Rio Grande do Sul, such as Bento Gonçalves and São Leopoldo. The new colony, established on 19 October 1890, as Colônia de Ijuhy Grande, was the first of the new colonies founded in north-western Rio Grande do Sul. The colony, originally divided into "lines", was subsequently organized in districts and renamed Ajuricaba in January 1940. The municipality of Ajuricaba was established on 8 November 1965 by Decree-Law No. 5,085 and inaugurated on 29 May 1966, with its seat at Linha 19.

The symbols of Ajuricaba are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 237, adopted on 10 May 1978. The flag is horizontally divided into two equal parts, the upper white and the lower celestial blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms is "Per fess, 1. Azure a mate gourd and a tractor proper, 2. Argent a wheat plant and a soybean plant proper crossed per saltire in base three chain links or. The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown or masoned and ports sable. Beneath the shield a scroll maroon inscribed '29.05 / AJURICABA - RS / 1966' in letters sable."
The mate gourd symbolizes a main local resource and highlights the town's traditions and hospitality. The tractor symbolizes agriculture and the mechanization of field work. Wheat and soybean are the main source of income in the municipality. Their union symbolizes cooperativism. The chain links recall the native peoples. The four towers stands for a "cidade".
Ivan Sache, 31 May 2014