Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | capão da canoa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
A white flag, with the municipal arms placed centrally toward the hoist; extending from the arms to the hoist four red bars, and to fly four blue bars.
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 January 2012
The municipality of Capão da Canoa (42,047 inhabitants in 2010; 97 sq. km) is located in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area, 130 km of Porto Alegre. The municipality is made of the town of Capão da Canoa proper and of the districts of Capão Novo, Arroio Teixeira and Curumim. Capão da Canoa developed in the 1900s as Arroio da Pescaria (Fishers' Creek), when the first ranches were built along the seashore. The place attracted fishers, muleteers, farmers and travellers, as well as all kind of adventurers. In 1920, people from the mountains of Rio Grande do Sul and from Porto Alegre started to oversummer in Capão da Canoa, mostly of German and Italian origin. They were joined in the 1940s by Jews. The old name of Arroio da Pescaria vanished at the time, superseded by Capão da Canoa. This new name indeed belonged to an old estate founded by the Nunes family on the Xangri-lá beach, today part of the municipality of Xangri-lá. The district of Cornélios, part of the municipality of Osório, was established by Law No. 73 of 1 February 1933; the district included the "vila" of Capão da Canoa; in 1952, the seat of the district was transferred to Capão da Canoa. The municipality of Capão da Canoa was established by Law No. 7,638 of 12 April 1982 and inaugurated on 31 January 1983.
The flag of Capão da Canoa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 85, adopted in 1984. The colors of the flag, as well as those of the coat of arms, are the official colors of the municipality: sky blue, Chinese red, titanium white, lemon yellow, orange proper, ultramarine blue and black.
The coat of arms of Capão da Canoa is prescribed by Municipal Law No.
79, adopted in 1984.
The sun has 23 rays, the number of beaches in the municipality; it
symbolizes life and light.
The sea is represented with two waves issuing form the date of
emancipation, symbolizing dynamism.
The mate calabash gourd stands for fraternity, respect and hospitality
if the inhabitants.
The brick wall provides balance and symmetry of the quarters, meaning
safety and work.
The dolphin, common in the sea, is a symbol of sympathy and friendship.
The sail represents water sports.
The plumb-bob, a mason tool, symbolizes the steady growth of the
The seagull symbolizes purity and liberty.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2012