This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Catuípe, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | catuípe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Catuípe, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 20 January 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

The horizontal tricolour, blue-white-deep yellow, with municipal arms placed centrally on a white disk extending into the upper and lower bands.

Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 January 2012

The municipality of Catuípe (9,323 inhabitants in 2010; 583 sq. km) is located in northwestern Rio Grande do Sul, 420 km of Porto Alegre. Catuípe appeared in 1893 as the district of Rincão da Natureza, part of the municipality of Santo ângelo; the seat of the district was located in Boa Vista, subsequently transferred to Rio Branco. In 1915, the building of the railway boosted the development of the settlement, which was renamed Rio Branco and, much later, Catuípe, from a Tupi- Guarani word meaning "Clearwater", alluding to the numerous sources of mineral water gushing forth locally. Catuípe is self-styled "The Land of Mineral Waters". The municipality of Catuípe was established by State Law No. 4,156 of 16 October 1961.

There is no record of the adoption of the municipal flag. The coat of arms is prescribed by Law No. 48 of 17 December 1963. The coat of arms is made of a Portuguese shield, "Quarterly by a cross or, 1. Argent a feather crown proper two arrows per saltire proper, 2. Argent a spring gushing forth from an underground sheet, 3a. Argent a tractor proper ploughing a field vert, 3b. Or a symbol of commerce sable, 4a. Argent a branch of erva mate vert and a timber log or, 4b. Vert a bovine's head argent." The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent. Below the shield a stylized scroll gules inscribed in letters sable the municipal motto " Progredir Sempre" (Always Progress) surrounded by the years of establishment of the "vila" and of the municipality, respectively, the name of the municipality in letters sable between the shield and the scroll. 

Ivan Sache, 19 March 2012