Last modified: 2020-07-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | dom feliciano |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
The municipality of Dom Feliciano (15,038 inhabitants in 2013; 13,562 ha) is
located 110 km of Porto Alegre.
Dom Feliciano was established in 1891 by Polish colonists. The municipality's namesake is Feliciano José Rodrigues de Araújo Prates (1781-1858), appointed 1st Bishop of São Pedro de Rio Grande do Sul in 1852. After the Ragamuffin War, Feliciano served as parish priest in São Feliciano, the 5th district of Encruzilhada (now, Encruzilhada do Sul), subsequently emancipated as the municipality of Dom Feliciano.
Ivan Sache, 17July 2020
The flag and arms of Dom Feliciano are prescribed by Municipal
Law No. 254 promulgated on 26 September 1975.
The municipal flag of Dom Feliciano, designed by the heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered by a cross, with blue quarters formed by white stripes of two units in width superimposed with red stripes of one unit, arranged horizontally and vertically and crossing in the flag's center, where they are superimposed by a white lozenge of six units in width on eight units in length charged with the municipal coat of arms.
§1. In compliance with the Portuguese and heraldic traditions, and their inherited canons and rules, municipal flags have to be divided in eight or six horizontal stripes, quartered or divided in three parts, featuring the same colors as the field of the coat of arms and in the center or at hoist a geometrical figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§2. The municipal flag of Dom Feliciano obeys this general rule, being quartered by a cross symbolizing the people's Christian spirit. The coat of arms applied on the flag represents the municipal government while the white lozenge represents the town as the municipal seat. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, property, purity and religiosity. The white stripes charged with red stripes quartering the flag represent the spread of municipal power all over the territory. Red is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance, while the blue quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Blue represents justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Dom Feliciano, designed by the heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria,is described as follows:
A Samnit shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent ports gules, argent a galero sable with six tassels vert a base azure with a mount of the same charged with a fleur-de-lis argent. The shield surrounded by soybeans and maize crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "DOM FELICIANO" and the date "12 ABRIL DE 1964".
The coat of arms has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The Samnit shield, used to represent the arms of Dom Feliciano, was the first style of shield introduce to Portugal under French influence, inherited by the Brazilian heraldry to evoke the colonizing race and main builder of the nation;
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of coat of arms of domains; argent (silver) with six towers, four visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of third rank or municipal seat. [...]
c) Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
d) In the center the galero sable (black) with six tassels vert (green) on each side is the Episcopal symbol of Feliciano José Rodrigues Prates, first bishop of Rio Grande do Sul, the town's namesake as a tribute to his service to the region when he was vicar of the parish of Encruzilhado do Sul.
e) Sable is a symbol of prudence, wisdom, moderation, austerity, firmness; vert is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.
f) The mount azure (blue) charged with a fleur-de-lis argent (silver) is the symbol of Nossa Senhora de Monte Claro (Nossa Senhora de Czestochowa, as it was named by the Polish colonists).
g) Azure (blue) is a symbol of justice, nobility, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty.
h) The outer ornaments, soybean and maize, represent the main products of the generous and fertile soil.
i) On a scroll gules (red), a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage, valiance (identifying the intrepid Polish colonists), in argent (silver) letters the identifying toponym "DOM FELICIANO" surrounded by the date of political emancipation, "12 de ABRIL 1964".
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2020