Last modified: 2020-07-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | marques de souza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
The municipality of Marques de Souza (4,163 inhabitants in 2016; 12,518 ha)
is located 130 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Marques de Souza was established in 1880 by German immigrants who settled near river Forqueta. They were joined in 1885 by Italians who settled in the heights.
The municipality of Marques de Souza was established by State Law No. 10,665 promulgated on 28 December 1995, separating from Lajeado, and inaugurated on 1 January 1997.
Municipal Chamber website
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020
The coat of arms of Marques de Souza is prescribed by Municipal
Law No. 64 promulgated on 28 August 1997.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Marques de Souza, in Portuguese style, is composed of a pile inverted featuring a sky azure (blue) charged with a white and a sun or (yellow) above mountains vert (green); beneath, a field vert (green) charged with a fess azure (blue) superimposed by another stripe argent and or (silver and yellow); in base an Olympic torch with flame gules (red), or (yellow) and sable (black). The lateral fields argent (silver) charged with two citrus branches vert (green) with fruits orange. The shield supported dexter and sinister by two maize plants vert (green) with cobs or (yellow) tied by a scroll gules (or) with the toponym "28 - 12 Marques de Souza 1995". The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent (silver) and gules (red). All the elements outlined sable (black).
The coat of arms of the municipality of Marques de Souza, in Portuguese style, represents Brazil's usual heraldry, which represents the origin of the country's discoverers.
The pile is a triangle crossing the shield dexter to sinister, or from the shield's upper left to right part, where it is charged with a white dove representing peace.
The rising sun represents the rise of the municipality; the green mountains allude to the topography and gives an idea of the localization of the town at the foot of the mountains.
The blue rivers represents rivers Fão and Forqueta, inextinguishable sources of future tourism development.
The asphalted stripe superimposed to the river represents road BR 386, which crosses the municipality from south to north.
The yellow and silver hut represents the camping places that already exist or are planned with the support of the public administration to that kind of tourism.
The red and yellow Olympic torch represents sport, especially football that put on national and international scenes cracks born in the municipality.
The orange and green citrus represent the perennial crops and the work offered by immigrants and colonists from all races.
The supporters, two green and yellow maize plants, represent all the products produced by the brave colonists.
The gules and red scroll represents protection and justice as highlighted by the municipality's toponym and date of emancipation.
The mural crown, silver with three towers with red gates, represents the three powers: Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary.
Meaning of the colors of the arms.
Or (yellow) represents wealth, force and safety.
Azure (blue) represents justice and beauty.
Sable (black) represents prudence and protection.
Vert (green) represents natural environment, inner life, knowledge and hope.
Argent (silver) represents knowledge and mystery.
Gules (red) represents constitutive power and faith.
White represents peace.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020