Last modified: 2012-05-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | teutônia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Watched an interesting programme on the TV today about this town. They have a
website with their arms and flag which has the same disposition as that of my
State, Rio Grande do Sul, though the yellow is replaced by white:
http://www.teutonia.com.br/, click on
the link "A Cidade" on the left menu.
This town is amongst many which have been founded by German immigrants back in the late 1800s.
Rudnei Cunha, 6 August 2010
Diagonally divided by an ascending broad red band, green over white, the arms set in a white oval cartouche in the red band, with three small star above.
The page at
http://www.teutonia.com.br/web/a_cidade.html claims that the “shield” in
question (actually, a cartouche) is based on German civic heraldry, and calls
the object above it a mural crown.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 8 August 2010
The municipality of Teutônia (27,265 inhabitants in 2010; 179.17 sq. km) is
located in northeastern Rio Grande do Sul, 100 km north of Porto Alegre.
Teutônia was founded by German immigrants, in the wake of the colonization started in 1824 in São Leopoldo. In 1856, Carlos Schilling led a first expedition; two years later, the creation of Colony Teutônia was made official. The "Empresa Empresa Colonizadora Carlos Schilling, Lothar de la Rue, Jacob Rech, Guilherme Kopp e Companhia", a company set up by Schilling and his associates, purchased on 26 November 1861 from the municipality of Taquari a plot of land for the access to the colony. Lothar de la Rue was appointed in 1862 the first director of the colony. They were subsequently joined by Swiss and German colonists who had originally settled in the Corrientes Province, Argentina. However, the main colonization effort was made by immigrants from São Leopoldo and Santa Catalina, and also from immigrants coming directly from Pomerania, Saxony, Bohemia and Silesia. Teutônia became an independent municipality on 24 May 1981, which was confirmed by State Law No. 7,542 of 8 October 1981. The new municipality was inaugurated on 31 January 1983.
The link at http://www.teutonia.com.br/web/a_cidade.html gives a detailed description of the flag and arms:
The division of the flag in three parts represents the three powers - executive, legislature and judiciary - working in harmony. Green represents the rural estates, the soil fertility, the profusion of the crops and woods. It is also a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, joy and plenty, also the symbol of hope: the greening plantations in spring are the hope of profuse harvests. Red is the symbol of patriotic feeling, commitment, intrepidity, courage, valiance and perseverance. White symbolizes peace, friendship, work, prosperity and Christian feelings.
White and red, together with the black outline of the coat of arms, recall the colonists' traditions and folklore. Red and white are also the colors of the Republicans and Federalists who struggled in 1891 for the defense of the democratic ideals. The three stars represent the former districts of the mother municipality, Estrela, which, formed together the 244th gaucho municipality.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
On a white oval field outlined by two black lines separated by a white one, of seven modules in height on five modules in width, is placed a five-stringed lyre. The five-stringed lyre, ensigned with five towers, is divided in five quarters:
The lower left quarter pictures under a blue sky a typical colonial half-timbered house, in the background two trees, in the foreground a lawn planted with two flowering shrubs.
The lower right quarter pictures, under a blue sky, too, a ceramic factory with a chimney; in the foreground, a green field.
The upper right quarter shows on a light yellow field a burning fire of red flames and an open book placed on a shelf.
The upper left quarter shows on a base of the color of a fertile soil a "saraquá"* and a maize plant flowered and fructed on a light yellow background.
A pair of shoes is placed just below the lyre, surmounting a scroll charged with the writing in Gothic letters "TEUTÔNIA" flanked by the years "1858" and "1981".
*A "saraquá", aka "matraca" is a local, manual planter. See more in Molin JP, MenegattiII LAA, Gimenez LM. 2001. Avaliação do desempenho de semeadoras manuais [Evaluation of manual planters]. Revista Brasileira de Engenharia Agrícola e Ambiental, 5, 339-343 http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rbeaa/v5n2/v5n2a27.pdf
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2012