Last modified: 2010-08-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | bariri | lozenge (white) | cross (red) | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
The flag of Bariri was adopted by law No. 847 of 5 September 1968. It is described in the law as having a blue field, on the center of which is a white lozenge, and thereon the coat of arms of the municipality. From the lozenge, white stripes surcharged with narrower red stripes issue in the vertical and horizontal directions, forming a cross. The cross symbolizes the Christian spirit of the people, the coat of arms the municipal government, the lozenge the city proper, and the stripes the emanation of municipal authority throughout the municipal territory. The colors are assigned the usual symbolism in Brazilian civic heraldry.
A new coat of arms was adopted by law no. 3088/2000 of 22 May 2000. The shield is divided per fess.
The dexter chief quarter is red field with
a white gear, symbolizing industry. The sinister chief quarter is green with
the head of Mercury in profile, symbolizing commerce.
On a black bar across the center representing the Tietê River are four
silver fish representing the rich fauna of its waters. In base is a
representation of the Bariri hydroelectric works on a blue field. The
supporters are a bandeirante with a branch of coffee and a rural worker with
a stalk of wheat. The shield is ensigned with a bronze mural crown. The
scroll is inscribed with the motto Bariri terram Paulistam uberat. Below
the scroll is the date 1890, the year Bariri
achieved municipal status.
Source: Official municipal website pages on the flag and coat of arms.
Joseph McMillan, 12 February 2003