This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Teodoro Sampaio, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | teodoro sampaio | saltire (white fimbriated red | yellow) | monogram (yellow) | disk (green) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Teodoro Sampaio, 
SP (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 25 February 2013

See also:

About the Flag of Teodoro Sampaio

Bright blue with a white saltire bordered red and yellow, on the center a green disk fimbriated white with a monogram of the initials T.S. in yellow.
Joseph McMillan, 28 March 2003

The municipality of Teodoro Sampaio (21,389 inhabitants in 2010; 155,667 ha) is located on the borders with Mato Grosso do Sul and Paraná, 660 km of São Paulo.

Teodoro Sampaio was established on land belonging to the Cuiabá Estate, founded by José Theodoro de Souza, who is considered as the first colonizer of the Paranapanema hinterland. João da Silva Oliveira purchased the estate on 11 January 1853; the estate was split between his heirs after his death. Colonel José Pires de Andrade acquired the estate on 2 October 1941. On 18 October 1950, José Miguel de Castro Andrade and Odilon Ferreira founded "Organização Colonizadora Engenheiro Teodoro Sampaio" to manage Pires' estate. A new settlement was founded by the company on 7 January 1952, named Theodoro Sampaio for the engineer, born on 7 January 1855; who made in 1886 the first land survey in Pontal do Paranapanema and who had been met in São Paulo by Colonel Pires. With time, the name of the place was changed to Teodoro Sampaio. The district of Teodoro Sampaio was established on 18 February 1959, as part of the municipality of Marabá Paulista, and inaugurated on 3 April 1960. The municipality of Teodoro Sampaio was established by State Law No. 8,092 of 28 February 1964.

The symbols of Teodoro Sampaio are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".

The flag and the coat of arms, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar and painted by Expedito José dos Santos, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,265 of 3 October 2001.

The flag is horizontally divided blue-white-green, with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle of the white stripe. The colours have the same meaning as on the coat of arms. Green, white and blue are the municipal colours of Teodoro Sampaio.  - "Enciclopédia VP" website

Photos of the flag

The coat of arms is "Argent two fleurs-de-lis azure grafted of the second a Latin cross of the first over two fesses wavy of the same, a chief vert three stars argent. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent ports gules. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane and sinister by a plant of maize the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll vert inscribed with the municipality's name in letters argent."

The Iberic shield was used in Portugal at the time of the discovery of Brazil. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports are a symbol of hospitality. Gules is the colour of Law and Justice, meaning that São Pedro is the seat of a "comarca" and recalling the dictum "Justice is Found Through These Ports". Argent is a symbol of felicity, purity, temperance, truth, frankness, beauty, integrity and friendship. It symbolizes the purity of the climate and of the waters, the integrity and the ideals of people, and the resulting atmosphere of harmony and cordiality. The design of the shield evokes the hilly topography of the municipality and the Devil's Hill ("Morro do Diablo"), the highest point of the municipality. Azure is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, glory, incorruptible firmness and virtue. It symbolizes the natural beauty of the region, the virtues of the citizens and the exemplary behaviour of the administrators. The Latin cross is a reference to the deep Christian faith of people. The two fesses wavy represents the water resources of the municipality, especially rivers Paraná and Paranapanema. The fleurs-de-lis are the emblem of the Blessed Virgin, the town's patron saint. The chief vert is a symbol of the forests, of the preservation of the environment, and of the exuberance of the vegetation. The stars are a symbol of light through the night, safe guidance and aspiration to highness. The sugarcane and the maize plant highlight the fertility of the soil, as important sources of income for the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2013

Previous Flag

[Teodoro Sampaio, 
SP (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 25 February 2013

The previous flag of Teodoro Sampaio was established on 17 February 1982. The flag is blue with a white saltire outlined in yellow and red. In the middle of the flag is placed a green disk outlined in yellow and charged with the interlaced yellow letters "TS". - "Enciclopédia VP" website
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2013