Last modified: 2013-03-20 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | Álvares machado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
4 March 2013
Álvares Machado was founded on 19 March 1916 by Manoel Francisco de
Oliveira, originating from Alfenes, Minas Gerais. He spent a night
under a fig tree; the place, subsequently known as Brejão, would be
the site of the initial nucleus of settlement. Other colonists joined
Oliveira in 1919, following the establishment of the Sorocabana
Railway. In 1921, Oliveira established the village of São Luiz. The
same year, the State Government changed the name of the Brejão railway
station to Álvares Machado, as a tribute to the eye surgeon and
politician Francisco álves Machado e Vasconcelos (1791-1846; President
of Rio Grande do Sul, 1840-1841). The district of Álvares Machado was
established by Law No. 2,242 of 26 December 1927, as part of the
municipality of Presidente Prudente.
The municipality of Álvares Machado was established by Decree-Law No.
14,334 of 30 November 1944, being increased with territory carved from
http://www.alvaresmachado.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Álvares Machado is blue with a white lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Álvares Machado is "An English shield bordered in black, surmounted by a mural crown. On a field azure, attributes placed with harmony recall the history and features of the town and of the municipality. The shield is placed over branches of important crops [maize and rice] and supported by the Brazilian and São Paulo State flags. Beneath the shield is placed a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'OMNIA PÁTRIA' [All for the Fatherland] in red letters".
http://www.alvaresmachado.sp.gov.br/simbolos.php - Municipal website
Photos of the flag: