This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Batatais, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | batatais |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Bastos, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 28 September 2012

See also:

About the Flag

Gyronny blue and red with the municipal arms centred.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 28 September 2012

The municipality of Batatais (56,481 inhabitants in 2010; 85,072 ha) is located 350 km northwest of São Paulo. Batatais, nicknamed "The Town with the Most Beautiful Gardens", was proclaimed a Tourist Resort on 23 December 1994 by State Law No. 8,993.

The local hero of Batatais is the lawyer and politician Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa (1869-1957), Mayor of Batatais in 1897-1899, Mayor of São Paulo in 1914-1919, President of São Paulo State in 1920-1924, and President of Brazil in 1926-1930 - therefore the last President of the First Republic.

The design of the flag is inspired by the municipal coat of arms. The blue and red colours, found on the coat of arms, symbolize the place were the municipality was definitively established, Campos Lindos das Araras - recalling that the ara's feathers are predominantly blue and red.

Photo of the flag, 18 December 2009

The coat of arms is "Argent a Cross of the Order of Christ in chief a parchment vert in base a fess wavy azure. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent ports and windows sable. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the toponym 'BATATAIS' in letter sable."

Argent represents the resources of the soil, as well as the purity, the high moral value, the elevation and the spirit of the inhabitants. The cross was used on the seals of the caravels that discovered Brazil, recalling that Brazil spiritually belongs to the Order of Christ; the cross also appears on the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Portugal. The cross highlights here the religious faith of the inhabitants of Batatais who owe much to the Roman Catholic Church through the dedication of the churchmen to the establishment of the town. The parchment is a symbol of culture and arts. The fess wavy represents the swift river that crosses the town. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal autonomy. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2012