This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Chavantes, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | chavantes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Chavantes, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 24 March 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Chavantes (12,114 inhabitants in 2010; 18,821 ha) is located on the border with Paraná, 360 km of São Paulo.

Chavantes was founded in 1887 by João Inácio da Costa Bezerra, who established the Santana da Cachoeira estate. The village founded nearby on 7 October 1900 was known as Cachoeira or Santana de Cachoeira. The district of Irapé was established by State Law No. 1,772 of 22 October 1909, as part of the municipality of Santa Cruz do Rio Pardo. Irapé emerged as a significant regional center, with a theatre. The Alves Lima bridge, designed by engineer Celso Valle and inaugurated on 4 December 1920, links the São Paulo and Paraná States; the bridge was a strategic place during the 1924 and 1930 revolutions. In 1910, "Estrada de Ferro Sorocabana" built the railway station of Xavantes, located 3 km from Irapé. The new borough attracted most activity, so that the district was renamed Chavantes and its seat transferred to the new town by State Law No. 1,554 of 8 October 1917. The municipality of Chavantes was established by State Law No. 1,885 of 4 December 1922 and inaugurated on 8 February 1923. The district of Irapé was established by Decree-Law No. 7,064 of 6 April 1935. The municipality was renamed Xavantes by State Law No. 8,092 of 28 February 1964, the original name being eventually re-established by State Law No. 3,233 of 30 December 1981. - Chavantes blog, by Lilia Alonso

The flag of Chavantes is a gyronny of eight blue and white pieces. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms. The chief must represent the Alvares Lima bridge.

The flag used in the meeting room of the Town Hall and elsewhere has light blue quarters.


The coat of arms of Chavantes, designed by Dirceu Vedovello and painted by Maria Helena Cadamuro, pictures Xavante's head, native weapons and crops. 
Ivan Sache, 24 March 2013

Variant flag

Chavantes, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 24 March 2013

In contrast, the flag hoisted in the office of the Mayor has darker blue quarters.


Ivan Sache
, 24 March 2013