Last modified: 2013-05-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | guareí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 April 2013
Guareí was established in 1827 by the Prussian colonists Philippe
Jacob, João Momberg, Henrique Wietes and Gaspar Estanagel on land
owned by Elias Ayres do Amaral. The landlord ordered his slaves to
destroy the cross erected by the colonists, but he was expropriated by
a court order. The chapel of São João Batista de Guareí, canonically
established on 9 February 1872, was confirmed by Imperial Law No. 99
of 16 April 1865. The parish of Guareí was established by Provincial
Law No. 14 of 5 March 1871, as part of the municipality of Itapetininga.
The municipality of Guareí was established by Provincial Law No. 9 of
16 March 1880 and inaugurated on 20 January 1881. Guareí was
downgraded to a district of the municipality of Tatuí by Decree-Law
No. 6,530 of 3 July 1934 and re-established as a municipality by
Decree No. 2,695 of 5 November 1936.
http://www.camaraguarei.sp.gov.br - Website of the Municipal Council
The symbols of Guareí are prescribed in Article 6 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 4 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the flag
and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.guarei.sp.gov.br/leis/Lei-Org%E2nica-do-Munic%EDpio-de-Guare%ED%20atualizada.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag is light blue with a red triangle charged with a white triangle. The municipal coat of arms is placed close to the hoist.
Ivan Sache, 4 April 2013