Last modified: 2013-05-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | igaraçu do tietê |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 9 April 2013
Igaraçu do Tietê was founded on 19 October 1903 on a plot offered by
Colonel Joaquim Ribeiro. The town was originally known as Vila São
Joaquim, named for its patron saint, St. Joachim, to whom a chapel was
dedicated in 1926. The district of Igaraçu was established by Law No.
882 of 19 October 1903.
The municipality of Igaraçu do Tietê was established by Law No. 2,456
of 30 December 1953 and granted the title of Tourist's Resort in 1994.
http://www.camaraigaracudotiete.sp.gov.br - Website of the Municipal Council
The flag is blue with a red, off-centered cross fimbriated in white. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The arms are canting, Igaraçu meaning "a big canoe" in Tupi-Guarani.