Last modified: 2013-04-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | iporanga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 11 April 2013
Iporanga was founded in 1576 by gold scavengers, as Garimpo de Santo
Antônio. Arraial de Santo Antônio was established in 1625. A river
port was built in 1676 near the mouth of river Iporanga, which became
the seat of the town in 1730.
Iporanga is the Capital of Caves; the municipal territory includes
more than 300 caves, which is the highest density in Brazil. The Casa
de Pedra (Stone House) cave has the biggest entrance in the world, of
215 m in height.
http://www.iporanga.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Iporanga is blue with a yellow Maltese Cross spreading over the whole flag. In the middle of the flag is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Iporanga, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is
"An Iberian shield azure an eagle displayed or a chief of the same a
rising sun gules in base three mounds or a fess wavy azure. The shield
surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown or ports sable. The shield
supported dexter by a branch of bean and sinister by a plant of maize
the two leaved and fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll azure
inscribed with the municipality's name in letters or".
http://www.iporanga.sp.gov.br/novo_site/index.php?exibir=secoes&ID=34 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 11 April 2013