This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Irapuã, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | irapuã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Irapuã, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 12 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Irapuã (7,275 inhabitants in 2010; 25,742 ha) is located 425 km of São Paulo.

Irapuã was founded in 1875 by Hipólito José Godoy and Luiz Márquez. They offered a piece of land to establish a new settlement and a statue of Our Lady of the Carmel to be placed in the already existing chapel. The village was named Cervinho, for the brook of the same name. The district of Irapuã was established by State Decree-Law No. 2,247 of 30 September 1930, as part of the municipality of Novo Horizonte. The municipality of Irapuã was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944. Originally incorporated to Irapuã, the district of Sales was transferred to Novo Horizonte in 1949. - Municipal website

The flag of Irapuã is horizontally divided yellow-light blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.


The coat of arms of Irapuã is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 179 of 28 July 1962, as "A classical shield surmounted by a mural crown charged in the middle by a Portuguese escutcheon 'Vert a bee or'. Azure a crown or and ruby orled by twelve stars argent, a fess wavy azure and argent, a base argent a cornucopia proper superimposed to four arrows gules crossed per saltire 2 + 2. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a plant of maize the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'PACEM LABORO" surrounded by the dates '1875' and '1945' all sable".

The escutcheon vert represents the natural resources of the municipality. The bee makes the arms canting, the town being named for the "irapuã" bee*. Azure is a symbol of serenity. The crown and the stars represent the town's patron saint, Our Lady of the Carmel. The fess wavy represents brook Cervinho. Argent is a symbol of tranquillity and safety. The arrows recall the name of the municipality, of Tupi-Guarani origin. The cornucopia is a classical symbol of abundance. The supporters represent the main crops in the municipality. The Latin motto reads "To Build Peace".

The Law further prescribes the opening of a special account of 65,000 CR$, supplied with the remainder of the tax on transmission of real estates among living persons. Studio Pantheon is commissioned to produce a template of the coat of arms for printing on the official papers, two oil paintings of the coat of arms (70 cm x 90 cm), and two flags with the coat of arms. - Municipal website

*The "irapuã" bee is a social, stingless Brazilian bee (Trigona spinipea Fabricius).

Ivan Sache, 12 April 2013