This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Itapecerica da Serra, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itapecerica da serra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Itapecerica da Serra, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger and Ivan Sache, 15 November 2012

See also:

About the Flag

A white upright cross, the upper two quarters green, the lower two quarters blue.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 November 2012

The municipality of Itapecerica da Serra (152,380 inhabitants in 2010; 15,146 ha) is located in the São Paulo Metrtopolitan Area, 35 km of São Paulo.

Itapecerica da Serra emerged as a natives' settlement placed under the patronage of Our Lady of the Joy, established in 1562 by the Jesuits to protect the São Paulo de Piratininga College and to facilitate evangelization. The population of the place was increased by some 20 natives from Carapicuíba converted by Father Belchior de Pontes. The chapel of Itapecerica, named for Tupi words meaning "a smooth and slippery stone", counted in 1689 some 900 inhabitants, led by Father Diogo Machado. The further colonization of the neighborhood started only in 1827, when the Imperial government established a colony with German immigrants. The establishment of the Mairinque-Santos railway by the Sorocabana Railways Company boosted the development of the colony, favouring the export of its products. The parish of Itapecerica was established on 20 February 1841 by Provincial Law No. 12, as part of the municipality of Santo Amaro. The municipality of Itapecerica was established on 8 May 1877 by Provincial Law No 33 and inaugurated on 11 December 1877. The municipality was renamed Itapecerica da Serra (in the mountains) on 30 November 1944 by State Decree-Law no. 14,334; the added epithet highlights the local topography and, mostly, allows distinction from the municipality of Itapecerica located in Minas Gerais. The districts of Embu and Taboão da Serra seceded from Itapecerica on 18 February 1959 by State Law No. 5,285. So did the districts of Embu-Guaçu and Juquitibá on 28 February 1964 by State Law no. 8,092, and the district of São Lourenço da Serra on 30 December 1991 by State Law No. 7,644, eventually leaving Itapecerica da Serra as a single-district (capital) municipality.

The flag is quartered green-green-blue-blue by a white cross, charged in the middle with a yellow star.

Photos show that there are several copies of the flag in actual use, differing by the width of the cross and the green and blue shades.

Photo of the flag - 30 September 2011 - 5 August 2011 - 1 December 2010 - 6 October 2010 - 9 June 2008

Ivan Sache, 17 November 2012