This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Itaporanga, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-05-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itaporanga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Itaporanga, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 14 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Itaporanga (14,546 inhabitants in 2010; 50,738 ha) is located 300 km of São Paulo.

Itaporanga was founded in 1845 by Friar Pacífico de Monte Falco, one of the Italian Capuchine monks commissioned in 1843 by José da Silva Machado, Baron of Antonina, to evangelize the natives living on his domain. The village was originally named São João Batista do Rio Verde. The parish of São João Batista was established by Provincial Law No. 1 of 5 March 1855, as part of the municipality of Faxina (today, Itapeva). The municipality of São João Batista do Rio Verde was established by Provincial Law No. 7 of 6 March 1871, inaugurated on 22 January 1873 and renamed Itaporanga by State Law No. 620 of 21 June 1899. Itaporanga means "beautiful stone" in Tupi-Guarani, referring here to the numerous stones found along Rio Verde. - Municipal website

The flag of Itaporanga is blue with a white square canton charged with the municipal coat of arms. In lower fly is placed a yellow circular emblem with eight points flory, also represented in the base of the shield.


Ivan Sache, 14 April 2013