This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Itobi, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itobi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Itobi, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 15 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Itobi (7,545 inhabitants in 2010; 13,861 ha) is located 250 km of São Paulo.

Itobi was founded in the first decades of the 19th century. In 1828, the village was inhabited by Fabrício and José Alves Cunha, founders of the Rio Verde estate. That estate, as well as the Boa Vista de Água Suja estate, owned by Celestino and José Carreiro, and the Boa Vista do Rio Doce estate, owned by Baron José Fortine, are at the origin of Itobi. The town of Vila Nova do Rio Verde was founded in 1887 by Antônio Martins Daniel, aka O Farrapeiro, who built two ranches. The district of Itobi - a name meaning "Green Water" in Tupi-Guarani - was established by State Law No. 568 of 27 August 1898, as part of the municipality of Casa Branca. The municipality of Itobi was established by State Law No. 5,285 of 18 February 1959 and inaugurated on 1 January 1960. - Municipal website

The symbols of Itobi are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 15 May 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem, representative of its culture and history". - Municipal Constitution

The flag is yellow with a white triangle placed along the hoist superimposed to a green triangle. The municipal coat of arms is placed near the hoist.


Image redrawn after the the Símbolos Municipais Brasileiros blog:
Ivan Sache, 15 April 2013