This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mineiros do Tietê, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-05-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | mineiros do tietê |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Mineiros do Tietê, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 19 May 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Mineiros do Tietê (12,042 inhabitants in 2010; 21,189 ha) is located in central São Paulo State, 300 km of São Paulo.

Mineiros do Tietê was founded in the middle of the 19th century by colonists from Minas Gerais ("mineiros", lit. "miners"), especially the Corrêa de Mello, Dutra Lopes, Gomes and Alves Pereira families. Around 1875, one of the inhabitants of the Bairro dos Mineiros (Miners' Borough), Vicente Valério dos Santos, offered a piece of land to establish a new town and erected a chapel dedicated to the Holy Cross. The district of Capela de Mineiros (Miners' Chapel) was established in January 1891, as part of the municipality of Dois Córregos. The municipality of Mineiros was established by State Law No. 581 of 29 August 1898 and renamed Mineiros do Tietê in 1944. - Municipal website

The symbols of Mineiros do Tietê are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the municipal flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history". - Municipal Constitution

The symbols of Mineiros do Tietê are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 49 of 12 August 1974.

The flag is prescribed as yellow with a blue wavy bend charged with the municipal coat of arms and surrounded by two five-pointed blue stars. The dimension of the flag is 14 units x 20 units. The width of the bend is 6 units. The diameter of the coat of arms is 4. 5 units. - Original, hand-written text of the Law on the symbols

The flag in actual use is yellow with a blue bend and a blue star in upper fly.


The coat of arms was designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, as imagined by Reverend Father Francisco de Sales Buck Ferreira. "A rounded-off shield or, a bend sinister wavy or charged with an Imperial crown surrounded by two stars of the first in chief a Latin cross in base two palm trees vert per bend. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a sugarcane the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the motto 'VIRTUS EX HONORE' in letters or".

The rounded-off, or Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, is a tribute to the first colonizers and builders of the nation. Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, glory, nobleness, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. The fess wavy represents the water resources of the municipality, especially the legendary river Tietê and the Peter II waterfall. Azure is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, incorruptible firmness, virtue, dignity, zeal and loyalty. The Imperial crown evokes the visit made by Emperor Peter II the Magnanimous. The stars are a symbol of splendour and nobleness, light through the night, safe guidance, aspiration to highness and to a bright future; they recall the colonists from Minas Gerais, the town's founders and namesake. The Latin cross evokes the deep Christian faith of the people and the chapel dedicated to the Holy Cross. The cross and the palm trees make the arms canting, recalling the first name of the place, Santa Cruz das Palmeiras. The cross recalls also Jesus Christ, the patron saint of the municipality. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation; the open ports are a symbol of hospitality. The branch of coffee and the sugarcane highlight the fertility of the generous soil of Mineiros do Tietê, being main sources of income for the municipality. The Latin motto reads "Virtue Comes from Honour". - Original, hand-written text of the Law on the symbols
Ivan Sache, 19 May 2013