This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nazaré Paulista, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-06-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | nazaré paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Nazaré Paulista, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 24 May 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Nazaré Paulista (16,413 inhabitants in 2010; 32,654 ha) is located 70 km of Campinas and of São Paulo.

Nazaré Paulista was founded in 1676 by Mathias and Zuzarte Lopes, who erected a chapel dedicated to our Lady of Nazareth. The chapel was suppressed the same year to be soon re-established, in 1682; the first baptisms and weddings were celebrated in 1686. In 1701, the village of Nossa Senhora de Nazareth counted 81 households. The parish of Nazareth was established in 1731, as part of the town of São Paulo, and transferred in 1769 to the newly established town of São João Batista de Atibaia (today, Atibaia). The municipality of Nazareth was established by Provincial Law No. 15 of 10 June 1850, and renamed Nazaré Paulista by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944. - Municipal website

The symbols of Nazaré Paulista are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history". - Municipal Constitution

The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

Ivan Sache, 24 May 2013