Last modified: 2013-05-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | nhandeara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Nhandeara was founded on 24 June 1928 by Joaquim "Salviano" Fernandes
de Melo (d. 1944), Antonio Bento de Oliveira, Procópio Davidoff and
João Batista do Nascimento. The town was originally named São João do
Paraiso, a name coined by Davidoff, who found the place "a greening
paradise". The district of Nhandejara was established by Law No. 7,032
of 25 March 1935, as part of the municipality of Monte Aprazível, and
inaugurated on 11 May 1935. The name of the district was coined by
Fábio Barbosa de Lima, who found the words "nhande-jara", meaning "Our
Lord" in Tupi-Guarani, in Viscount of Taunay's book "Viagens a Mato
Grosso". Progressively, the name was changed to Nhandeara by dropping
The municipality of Nhandeara was established by State Law-Decree No.
14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945.
http://www.nhandeara.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
Nhandeara is the birth town of the footballer Doriva (b. 1972 as Dorival Guidoni Júnior). A central midfielder, Doriva won the Copa Libertadores with São Paulo (1993), the Portuguese Premier League (1998 and 1999) and Cup (1998) with FC Porto, and the Football League Cup with Middlesbrough (2004). He played 14 times with the national team of Brazil (1995-1998).
The flag of Nhandeara is yellow with a red, off-centered cross. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 26 May 2013