Last modified: 2013-01-21 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | pirapora do bom jesus |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
7 January 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirapora_do_Bom_Jesus
An off-centred yellow-red-yellow cross on a green field with the municipal arms in the cross on a white disk ringed gold.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 7 January 2013
Pirapora do Bom Jesus originates in the discovery in 1725 of a wooden statue of Jesus Christ ("Bom Jesus", lit. "Good Jesus", found standing on a stone on the bank of river Tietê by José de Almeida Naves. A first miracle occurred when a blaze broke out in the maize barn where the statue had been kept: nothing remained from the barn but the statue and the maize were preserved from destruction. The second miracle occurred during the attempt of transfer of the statue to Santana de Parnaíba; the cart drawn by six oxen stopped on the place where the chapel of Resting would be later built. Called for help, a deaf-mute living nearby had his voice restored and explained that two oxen would be enough to bring back the statue to Pirapora, where Jesus Christ wanted it to stand in a dedicated sanctuary. These miracles attracted more and more pilgrims; on 31 May 1727, José de Almeida Naves established a chapel, where Jesus Christ of Pirapora was celebrated for the first time on 6 August of the same year. Upgraded to a sanctuary by His Grace Lino Deodato de Carvalho, the chapel was revamped in 1887 in European Jesuit style.
The municipality of Pirapora do Bom Jesus was established by State Decree-Law No; 5,121 of 31 December 1958. The name of Pirapora comes from two Tupi-Guarani words meaning "a fish" and "a jump", respectively; referring to fish attempting to jump up a waterfall.
The symbols of Pirapora do Bom Jesus are prescribed, without further description, in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, last amended on 4 July 2006, as "a flag, a coat of arms and an anthem established by a Municipal Law".
http://www.piraporadobomjesus.sp.gov.br/legislacao/209-lei-organica-de-pirapora-do-bom-jesus - Municipal website
The flag of Pirapora do Bom Jesus is green with an off-centered yellow- red-yellow cross. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Pirapora do Bom Jesus is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 33 of 24 June 1961. The coat of arms is "A Flemish-Iberic classic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent, the field or a triangular chief gules charged with five crucifixion wounds of Jesus Christ argent, the base serrated of two vert charged with a fess wavy argent. The shield supported by two fish argent per pale. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the dates '1730' and '1959' all argent."
http://www.piraporadobomjesus.sp.gov.br/perfil-municipal/111-brasao-municipal - Municipal website
The Diocesan pilgrimage of Jundiaí to Pirapora do Bom Jesus ("Romaria Diocesana de Jundiaí a Pirapora do Bom Jesus"), organized every year, was awarded in 2009 the title of "Jundiaí Immaterial Cultural Good". Photos of the event show riders holding a flag horizontally divided yellow-red-white with the writing "ROMARIA / JUNDIAHY - PIRAPORA / PAX" in green letters, in the respective stripes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39923705@N07/5737641220 (2011, 97th year) http://www.flickr.com/photos/39923705@N07/4653844942 (2010)
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2013