This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rinópolis, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | rinópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Rinópolis, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 18 January 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A blue flag with an upright narrow red cross, bordered white, overlain by a white lozenge bearing the municipal arms.

Official website at 
Dirk Schönberger, 18 January 2013

The municipality of Rinópolis (9,935 inhabitants in 2010; 35,850 ha) is located 525 m of São Paulo.

Rinópolis was founded in 1927, when the Lélio Piza & Irmãos company sold plots from the Goataporanga Estate, located on the left bank of river Aguapeí (aka Feio). Colonel Eugênio Rino, the head of a local rural family, commissioned his two sons, Domingos Rino and Eugênio Rino Filho, and his son-in-law, Francisco Nascimento Silva, to evaluate the fertility and salubrity of the plots offered for sale, which they did with a representative of the company, Orozinho Durval. It took ten days to the experts to travel from Pirajuí to Goataporanga, first by car and then on horses through a narrow trail cleared in the primary forest. The outcome of the mission was positive and Rino purchased a piece of land, asking engineer Marcondes Filho to divide the area into plots. The engineer lost his way near river Itaúna and was eventually found by Francisco Nascimento Silva, Vicente Rino and Eugênio Rino Filho; four days later, the expedition reached the source of brook Brí, where they placed the cornerstone of the new settlement. The first colonists settled the place in 1928, clearing the forest, planting coffee and sowing grain; they were visited in 1930 by the Bishop of Botucatu, Ático Euzébio da Rocha, who celebrated the first mess in the colony.

The district of Rinópolis was established on 4 August 1937, as part of the municipality of Araçatuba, and transferred to the municipality of Tupã by Decree No. 9,775 of 30 November 1938. The municipality of Rinópolis was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945.

The symbols of Rinópolis are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 27 March 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem". - Municipal Constitution

The flag and arms are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 438 of 14 April 1969.

The flag is blue with a red cross fimbriated in white. In the middle is placed a white lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms.

The flag follows the tradition of Portuguese heraldry. The coat of arms represents the municipal government while the white lozenge represents the town as the seat of the municipality. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity and purity. The arms of the cross represent the municipal power spreading all over the municipal territory. Red is a symbol of determination, intrepidity, courage and valiance, courage, and valiance. The blue quarters represent the rural estates located on the municipal territory. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty.

Photos of the flag 

The coat of arms is "A Samnitic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent, azure an equilateral triangle argent charged with a stylized trefoil of four petals gules, in chief and base tow fesses way argent. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and sinister by a plant of cotton flowered proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the years '1937' and '1944' all argent."

The Samnitic shield, of the first style of shield used in Portugal under French influence, evokes the Latin race of the colonizers and main builders of the Brazilian nation. The six-towered mural crown is the symbol of a third-rank town, seat of a municipality. Azure is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty. The equilateral triangle is a symbol of equality and divine perfection. The triangle also represents Domingos Rino, Eugênio Rino Filho and Francisco Nascimento da Silva, the two sons and the son-in- law of Eugênio Rino, owner of the Goataporanga Estate, who commissioned them in 1927 to evaluate the economical potential of the estate, which was succeeded by the town of Rinópolis. Argent is a symbol of peace, work, friendship, equity, progress, truth, temperance and purity. The trefoil is a symbol of fortune representing the blossoming of the town established between river Itaúna and brook Brí, which are represented by the two fesses wavy. Red is a symbol of audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. Coffee and cotton are the basic sources of income for the municipality, being the main products of the generous and fertile soil. The years "1937" and "1944" are those of the establishment of the district and of the municipality of Rinópolis, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 19 January 2013