Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | roseira |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
21 January 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseira
A green flag with a yellow-red-yellow central stripe, and a yellow triangle extending from the hoist, bearing the coat of arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 21 January 2013
Roseira was originally a borough of the municipality of Guaratinguetá, located on the Royal Road that linked in the 18th century São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro. The local tradition says that Roseira was named for wild rose trees located on the roadside. The oldest written mention of Roseira is found on a document dated 18 May 1813 listing the goods of the late Ana Jacinta de França. In 1876, the Imperial government decided to establish a railway station in Roseira. Francisco Monteiro dos Santos reclaimed a compensation for the land where the station would be built. Upset, Major Vitoriano Pereira de Barros offered for free a part of his estate, on which the station would be inaugurated in March 1877. The new settlement that developed nearby quickly superseded the old Roseira borough. On 17 December 1928, the municipality of Aparecida, was established, seceding from Guaratinguetá and including Roseira. The municipality of Roseira was established by State Law No. 8,050 of 31 December 1963 and inaugurated on 21 March 1965.
Roseira is the birth town of the football player Zito (b. in 1932 as José Ely de Miranda). A defensive midfielder, Zito played more than 700 matches with FC Santos (1952-1967) and 46 matches with the Brazilian national team, winning twice the World Cup (1958; 1962, scoring in the final against Czechoslovakia).
The flag and arms of Roseira, designed by Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 158 of 6 March 1972.
The flag is green with three horizontal, red-yellow-red stripes in the middle. Along the hoist is placed a yellow equilateral triangle charged with the municipal coat of arms. The height of the central stripe is 2.5 units while the height of the red stripe is 0.5 unit [this makes the proportions of the stripes 2:1:2]. The flag follows the Portuguese heraldic traditions, whose canons and rules were inherited in Brazil. The coat of arms represents the municipal power, while the triangle represents the town as the seat of the municipality. The triangle is also a symbol of liberty, equality and fraternity; yellow is a symbol of glory, splendour, greatness, wealth and sovereignty. The central stripe represents the municipal power spreading all over the municipal territory. Red is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The green quarters represent the rural estates located on the municipal territory. Green is a symbol of honour, civility, courtesy, abundance and joy; it is also a symbol of hope, as the colour of the greening fields in spring that promise profuse harvests.
The coat of arms is "A Samnitic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. Or an escutcheon gules three bends argent nine six- pointed stars or 1 + 3 + 3 + 2 surmounted with a saltire gules charged with a seven-pointed star or. The escutcheon surrounded by two rose trees leaved and slipped vert flowered gules issuant from a base vert a fess wavy argent. In chief a matriarchal spindle gules surrounded by two hunting horns sable. The shield supported by two plants of rice proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the years '1878' and '1963' all argent."
The Samnitic shield, of the first style of shield used in Portugal under French influence, evokes the race of the colonizers and main builders of the Brazilian nation. The six-towered mural crown is the symbol of a third-rank town, seat of a municipality. Or is a symbol of glory, splendour, greatness, wealth and sovereignty. The escutcheon represents the arms of the Barros family, as a tribute to the founder of the town, Major Vitoriano de Barros. Argent is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. Gules is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The base of the shield represents the valley of Paraíba, the town being established on the right bank of the river. The rose trees ("roseiras"), the town's namesake, make the arms canting. Sable is a symbol of austerity, prudence, knowledge, moderation and firmness. The matriarchal spindle represents St. Ann, the patron saint of the town, and highlights the Christian faith of the inhabitants. The horns represent cattle breeding, one of the main sources of income for the municipality. The rice plants represent the main crop produced on the generous and fertile soil of the municipality. The years on the scroll recall the establishment and municipal emancipation of Roseira, respectively.
This coat of arms superseded the original coat of arms adopted by Municipal Ordinance No. 10 of 16 March 1967. "Colonial Portuguese shield. In chief five mounts azure on a field argent. In the middle, on a field vert, a fess argent forming a 'M'. In base, on the same field vert, a flowered rose or. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown or. The shield supported dexter by a plant of coffee fructed and sinister by a plant of rice the two proper. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the motto 'AGERE NON LOQUI' in letters argent."
The five mountains, with the central one higher, represent the municipality of Roseira as located among sister municipalities and close to the majestic Mantiqueira range. The field argent stands for the pure and healthy sky of the region. The "M"-shaped fess argent represents river Paraíba, where the saint statue of Mary, the patron saint of Brazil, was found. The rose tree is the town's namesake. The rose, as the queen of the flowers, is a symbol of the moral and intellectual value of the inhabitants. The branch of coffee and the plant of rice symbolize the greatness of the past and the promise of the future, respectively. The green filed stands for the agricultural value of the soil. The motto (To Act, Not To Speak) means that the value of people is in work and action. The mural crown is a municipal symbol. The shield is in dimensions 8 units x 7 units and is divided in nine fictitious, equal parts.
http://www.assessorarte.com.br/editais/190-Roseira-PM-C1/Apostila%20-%20Cidade%20Flor%20do%20Vale.pdf - Detailed presentation of Roseira, uncredited, undated
Ivan Sache, 22 January 2013