This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santa Gertrudes, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | santa gertrudes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Santa Gertrudes, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 28 January 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A white flag with a small red triangle at the upper hoist and a small black triangle at the lower fly, thereby giving the impression of a very broad white bend sinister, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 28 January 2013

The municipality of Santa Gertrudes (21,644 inhabitants in 2010; 9,770 ha) is located in central-eastern São Paulo State, 170 km of São Paulo.

Santa Gertrudes was founded by Brigadier Manoel Rodrigues Jordão and his wife Gertrudes Galvão de Moura Lacerda on a piece of land of the Morro Azul domain acquired on 18 June 1821. The settlement was originally known as Gramado. In 1845, the Baron of São João do Rio Claro founded the Santa Gertrudes Estate, named for his mother; originally dedicated to sugarcane cultivation, the estate would become in the 1890s one of the main coffee estates in the region; at the time, the Santa Gertrudes railway station and the nearby town of the same name were founded. The municipality of Santa Gertrudes was established by Law No. 233 of 24 December 1948, seceding from Rio Claro.

The symbols of Santa Gertrudes are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990 and last amended in December 2009, as "the coat of arms, the flag and the anthem established by Law."

The flag of Santa Gertrudes is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle, a small red triangle in upper hoist and a small black triangle in lower fly.

The coat of arms of Santa Gertrudes, designed by Lourenço Franco, Nelson Queiroz and José Ricardo Franzini, and painted by Maria Luiza Schmidt Redher, is "Gules a roof with two chimneys all or smoking argent a canton or a Latin cross azure. The shield surmounted by a mural brick crown proper the port or a Latin cross azure. The shield surrounded dexter by a branch of coffee fructed and sinister by a sugar cane the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'PELA FÉ, HONRA E TRABALHO' in letters argent."

The Portuguese shield, used by all the Brazilian municipalities, recalls our Portuguese origin. Gules is a symbol of valiance, courage, victory, faith and tenacity. Or is a symbol of wealth. The Latin cross represents the Christian spirit of the people. Azure is a symbol of calm, highness and honour. The roof is a symbol of the love of the people for their houses. The smoking chimneys mean that the town never rests and always works. The mural crown represent strength. The three open gates [only one shown on the image] welcome other people. The branch of coffee and the sugar cane represent crops common in Brazil. The scroll argent [gules on the image] represents peace; the motto in letters azure [argent on the image] means "For Faith, Honour and Work". - Website of the Municipal Chamber

The coat of arms shown on the first page of the Municipal Constitution has the mural crown with three gates and without the cross.
Ivan Sache, 30 January 2013