This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Vista Alegre do Alto, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | vista alegre do alto |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Vista Alegre do Alto, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 23 February 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

Five blue and white horizontal stripes, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 23 February 2013

The municipality of Vista Alegre do Alto (6,889 inhabitants in 2010; 9,530 ha) is located in northern São Paulo State, 380 km of São Paulo.

Vista Alegre do Alto was established in 1919 by Luigi "Luiz" Bassoli (1869-1931), an Italian immigrant born in Roverbella, Mantova Province, and his wife Armelinda Begnardi, as Colônia Seca. Their shop was the main center of Sunday's leisure for the local colonists. Colônia Seca was a popular place of stop on the Boaideira, the road used by oxen carts ("carros de boi") to transport goods all over the State. The increase of the estates and of the population boosted the landlords to transform of the colony into a "true" village. Vista Alegre was established on 25 March 1919 on a piece of land offered by Dr. Emílio Henrique Ower Sandolth. The village was named for the local, pleasant ("alegre") view ("vista"). THe name of the village was subsequently increased to Vista Alegre do Alto for the sake of differentiation from another place called Vista Alegre. The municipality of Vista Alegre was established on 18 February 1959.

The flag of Vista Alegre do Alto is horizontally divided blue-white-blue-white-blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, stretching over the three central stripes. Blue and white convey an ideal of optimism and peace. - Municipal website

Photos of the flag:

The coat of arms of Vista Alegre do Alto was designed by a civil servant of the Accounting Court of São Paulo State with a deep knowledge of heraldry, whose name has not been recorded due to a "pitiful omission". the cross is a symbol of faith. The three towers of the mural crown represent the three powers. Coffee, sugarcane and citrus ware the main sources of income in 1927. "1919" and "1959" are the years of foundation and political emancipation of the municipality, respectively. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 February 2013