Last modified: 2013-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: tocantins | ananás |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 26 February 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anan%E1s_(Tocantins)
Horizontally striped, yellow-green-yellow-green, with a blue canton bearing the municipal arms on a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 25 February 2013
Ananás was settled around 1890 by cattle breeders. The first known habitant of the place is José Honorato da Cruz, registered in 1901, who came from Maranhão with his family. Known as Zé Pardim, Honorato acquired the Ananás Estate, named for pineapples ("ananás", from the Tupi-Guarani word "nanas", meaning "excellent fruit"). Years later, he sold the estate to Firmino family, which founded a village with the Lopes, Borges, Soares, Leão, Batista and Vieira families. The population of the village significantly increased in 1953-1958. Several newcomers had fled the northern regions, the scene of the guerilla led by Father João against the landlord Leão Ledra. Other came from Maranhão in search of land to grow Babassu palms. The urbanization of the place was started in 1952 by the Evangelic pastor Tiburcio Vieira.
Ananás was originally part of Boa Vista do Padre João (today, Tocantinópolis). On 14 November 1958, Ananás was incorporated to the municipality of Nazaré, established the same day. Subsequently transferred to Araguatins, Ananás was made a district by Municipal Law No. 30 of 1 December 1960. The municipality of Ananás was established by State Law No. 4,684 of 14 October 1963 and inaugurated on 1 January 1964.
The flag is horizontally divided green-yellow-green-yellow. A blue canton, nearly square, covering two stripes in height is charged with the municipal coat of arms placed on a white disk.
Photo of the flag:
The coat of arms pictures the local landscape, with mountains, palms, and, of course, pineapples in base.
Ivan Sache, 26 February 2013