Last modified: 2011-11-05 by rob raeside
Keywords: ontario | guelph/eramosa township |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 5 October 2010
The flag of the Township of Guelph/Eramosa, Ontario, is white with township
coat of arms on it. Here is official story about the coat of arms:
"The new crest is a design based on the crests of the former Townships of Guelph, Eramosa, Pilkington and Nichol. These former municipalities now make up the new municipality of the Township of Guelph/Eramosa, which was incorporated on January 1, 1999. In November 1999, the Township Council received 3 design submissions for the crest from Ann Parkinson, Marion Campbell and Rob Knox. Council incorporated ideas from all 3 submissions to develop the final design. The shape of the shield is the same as the shields from the former Townships of Guelph, Pilkington and Nichol. The cog, or water wheel, is taken from the former Township of Eramosa, representing mills and industry. The sheaf of wheat is taken from the crests of the former Eramosa & Nichol Townships, representing the strong agricultural aspect of the new municipality. The galloping white horse is taken from the arms of the House of Guelph (or Hanover), the Royal Family from 1713 to 1837, after whom the Township (former Township of Guelph) was named. The white horse on red is perhaps the best known heraldic symbol of this family. It is derived from the arms of the German territory of Westphalia, still in use today: a white horse on a red field. The white horse is now galloping across the red outline of a map of the new Township. And finally the Township's new motto is emblazoned across the bottom 'United for Progress'."
Image of the coat of arms and documentation thanks to Melina Gillies, Executive Assistant.
"Guelph/Eramosa is a township located in Wellington County, in mid-western Ontario, Canada. It partly encircles the city of Guelph; surrounding it in a continuous arc from approximately northeast to south southwest of the city. The township was created in 1999 by the merger of the townships of Guelph and Eramosa, as well as parts of Pilkington and Nichol. It has 12,066 residents." - from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelph/Eramosa,_Ontario
Official website: http://www.get.on.ca
Valentin Poposki, 5 October 2010