This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bécancour, Quebec (Canada)

Centre-du-Québec

Last modified: 2017-04-08 by rob raeside
Keywords: bécancour | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

The Municipality

The municipality of Bécancour (13,301 inhabitants in 2016;44,100 ha) is located on the southern bank of river Saint-Laurent, facing Trois-Rivières. The municipality was established on 17 October 1965 as the merger of the former villages of Bécancour, Gentilly, Larochelle, and Laval, and of the former parishes of Bécancourt, Sainte-Angèle-de-Laval, Saint-Édouard-de-Gentilly, Sainte-Gertrude, Saint-Grégoire-le-Grand, and Très-Précieux-Sang-de-Notre-Seigneur. The municipality is known for its business park (7,000 ha), mostly dedicated to heavy industries, and associated port of commerce, managed by the State-owned company SPIPB (Société du Parc industriel et portuaire de Bécancour) Gentilly was the site of the only nuclear power plant in Quebec, Gentilly-2, operated from 1983 to 2012 by the State-owned company Hydro-Québec.

Bécancour, established in 1647 is named for its first lord, Pierre Robineau de Bécancour, Grand Voyer of Nouvelle-France. The village was settled by Acadians and Abenakis, a native tribe expelled from Maine. Bécancour is the death place of the explorer and fur trader Nicolas Perrot (c. 1,644-1717; http://www.biographi.ca/fr/bio.php?BioId=35152 - Complete biography), author of "Mémoire sur les mœurs, coustumes et rellgion des sauvages de l’Amérique septentrionale".
Bécancour is the birth place of the naturalist Léon Provancher (1820-1892; http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=6378 - Complete biography), who founded in 1868 "Le Naturaliste canadien", the oldest French-language scientific journal in Canada, and published "Petite faune entomologique du Canada", a description of every species of Canadian insect known at the time.
https://www.becancour.net/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017


The Flag

The flag of Bécancour is white with the municipal arms and the writing "VILLE DE . BÉCANCOUR", in green letters, and, in base, a green stripe surmounted by two white and green wavy stripes.

Photos
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/573609/derniers-jours-campagne-becancour
http://www.lechodetroisrivieres.ca/actualites/politique/181917/jean-guy-dubois-assermente
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/vie-regionale/centre-du-quebec/201408/06/01-4789602-becancour-revendique-5-du-gateau.php
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/vie-regionale/centre-du-quebec/201204/05/01-4512647-maurice-richard-pourrait-quitter-la-mairie-de-becancour.php

The arms of Bécancour were adopted in 1967. Green represents agriculture, recalling that 75% of the municipal territory is dedicated to agriculture. The wheel represents the industrialization of the town, the upper, half-wheel can also symbolize a rising sun over a new horizon. The waves represent river Saint-Laurent.

https://www.becancour.net/vie-municipale/profil-general/armoiries/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017