Last modified: 2017-04-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: saint-philémon | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The parish municipality of Saint-Philémon (714 inhabitants in 2016; 14,805
ha) is located 50 km south of Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse.
Saint-Philémon was settled in 1855 by priest Alexis Mailloux, who commissioned young people to clear the forest and often himself helped them in field work. The priest is remembered by several toponyms: canton Mailloux, rang Mailloux, chemin Mailloux, lac Mailloux, and rang Saint-Alexis. Michel Letellier was the first colonist of the newly cleared area, around 1861. In 1867, Saint-Philémon counted 32 household and 103 inhabitants. The parish was canonically erected in
1886, then counting 700 inhabitants. The congregation of the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis, founded in 1803 in Vannes (France) for the education of poor girls, settled in 1903 in Canada and were incited by Elzéar-Alexandre Taschereau (1820-1898), Archbishop of Quebec (1870-1898), to establish their educational institute in Saint-Philémon. In 1938, they were commissioned to establish a sanatorium.
http://www.saintphilemon.com - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 31 March 2017
The arms and flag of Saint-Philémon were inscribed on 15 April 2003 on the
Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges, Vol. IV, p. 275. The announcement of
the Letters Patent was made on December 20, 2003, in Vol. 137, p. 3,982 of the
Per fess nowy reversed or and vert, at the fess point a cross flory azure, in chief three triangles, that in the centre reversed vert.
Issuant from a circlet of maple seeds Or, two buckets in chevron proper.
Two Cape May warblers (Dendroica tigrina) on a grassy mound proper.
GÉNÉREUX AUJOURD'HUI COMME HIER
A banner of the arms.
The green colour represents forests, and yellow is a complementary colour alluding to the rich resources of the region. The cross with fleurs-de-lis has two meanings. It underlines the Christian nature of the community as well as its namesake St. Philémon, the beloved disciple of St. Paul. Moreover, its fleurs-de-lis branches indicate that the municipality is located in the province of Quebec. The triangles recall the Appalachian Mountain Range.
The buckets represent the maple industry, one of the economic staples of the municipality. They further allude to the administrative region of Chaudière-Appalaches where the municipality is located.
The Cape May warblers are a species of birds found in Quebec. The grassy mound represents the natural setting of the region where Saint-Philémon is located.
Meaning "As generous today as yesterday", refers to mutual aid within the community and to its sanatorium.
http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=80 - Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badge
Ivan Sache, 31 March 2017