Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: boyaca | tenza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman, 13 September 2008
Tenza is a municipality in the Colombian Department of
Boyacá, part of the the subregion of the Eastern Boyacá
Province. It was founded on 24 June 1537.
The flag of Tenza is horizontally divided green-white-red. It was adopted on 13 December 1968 and was designed by Antonio María Latorre.
Source: municipal web site
Dov Gutterman, 13 September 2008
Translated from municipal
"The flag of this municipality, imagined by Antonio María Latorre, was hoisted for the first time on 13 December 1968 during the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Tenza martyres. The flag is divided in three equal horizontal stripes, of colours green, white and red. Green represents the fields and their crops, grasslands and trees. White represents peace and tranquillity. Red recalls the blood shed by the Tenza martyres who offerred their life for freedom."
The flag is used as the first quarter of the municipal coat of arms, adopted by Decree No 026 on 22 November 1993.
As a side note, several Colombian municipal coat of arms seem to have been adopted years after the flag, contrasting with the common practice of designing the flag after the coat of arms. This is probably due to the lack of historical coat of arms for most of these places.
The coat of arms of Tenza also shown a bronze obelisk dedicated by Montaña to th María de los Angeles Avila (shot for her support to the patriots marching against Casanare), Salomé Buitrago, Juana Ramírez and Genoveva Sarmiento. The guerilla against the Spanish rule broke out in the Valley of Tenza in 1817, led by Vicente and Ambrosio Almeida. Accordingly, several local patriots were shot by the rulers commanded by Carlos Tolra, including Esteban Avila, José Antonio Barahona, Domingo Barrera, Andrés Bernal, José Antonio Bohorquez, Fernando Buitrago, Fermín Contreras, Juan Manjarres, Juan José Medina, Juan Gabriel Mora, Diego Zamora and Juan Manuel Zea.
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2008
image from municipal web site