Last modified: 2015-08-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image resized from municpal website
"Instituto Agrěcola de Carcasí" (ITA) was founded
on 16 April 1953 (Decree No. 0991) as "Escuela Vocacional
Agrícola" at Carcasí,
Department of Santander.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the institute's website, is divided green-white by the descending diagonal with a yellow wheat stem in the middle.
Green symbolizes the fields while white symbolizes purity and the aspiration to peace.
The wheat stem represents the soil fertility and the strength and progress of the local people.
Oddly enough, the very same flag is presented as the municipal flag, with the very same description, on the municpal website.
Ivan Sache, 14 April 2009
See also: Carcasi (Santander, Colombia).
image by Ivan Sache, 02 December 2014
Institución Educativa Cardenal Aníbal Muñoz Duque was established in
Santa Rosa de Osos (Antioquia Department) by Departmental Resolution
No. 1,469 of 20 February 2003 as the merger of Colegio Cardenal Aníbal
Muñoz Duque, Escuela María Auxiliadora (est. 1914), Escuela Urbana
Integrada Arenales (est. by Ordinance No. 33 of 30 December 1968) and
Instituto Nuestra Señora del Carmen (est. 1920). Another three schools
originally part of the merger were separated by Departmental
Resolution No. 32,578 of 21 December 2009 to form
Educativa Marco Tobón Mejía.
Instituto Departamental de Enseñanza Media was established by Departmental Decree No. 113 of 11 February 1970 and renamed Instituto Departamental de Enseñanza Media Cardenal Aníbal Muñoz Duque by Departmental Decree No. 1,285 of 10 May 1991, Liceo Cardenal Aníbal Muñoz Duque by Departmental Decree No. 2,637 of 8 July 1996, and, eventually, Colegio Cardenal Aníbal Muñoz Duque by Departmental Decree No. 9,167 of 17 November 2000.
The institute is named for Aníbal Muñoz Duque (1908-1987), born in Santa Rosa de Osos. elevated to Cardinal (Cardinal-Priest of San Bartolomeo all’Isola) on 5 March 1973 by Pope Paul VI. He was also Bishop of Socorro y San Gil (1951) and of Bucaramanga (1952), Archbishop of Nueva Pamplona (1959) and Bogotá (1972-1984), and Military Bishop of Colombia (1972-1984).
The flag of the institute, prescribed by Resolution No. 2, adopted in October 1967, is horizontally divided red-green, with a vertical yellow stripe placed along the hoist. The yellow stripe represents the light that enlightens the academic and pedagogic advance of the institute. The red stripe represents force and struggle for personal and collective surpassing. The green stripe represents the aspiration of the children and teenagers to build up newer and better generations.
Source: http://www.iecamd.edu.co/nuestra-inst/simbolos-institucionales.html - institute's website
Ivan Sache, 02 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
Colegio Cardenal Sancha was established on 10 February 1961 in Teusaquillo
borough (Bogotá) by Helena Cruz and Germania Hernández, two Sisters of the
Charity, a congregation founded in 1869 in Spain by Cardinal Sancha. The
institute was relocated on 30 January 1967 to El Calleja borough. Ciriaco María
Sancha y Hervás (1833-1909; beatified on 18 October 2009) was Bishop of Ávila
(1882), Bishop of Madrid-Alcalá de Henares (1886), and Archbishop of Valencia
(1892). He was appointed Cardinal on 18 May 1894 by Pope Leo XIII.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-Marian blue with the institute's emblem in the middle.
The emblem of the institute features:
- a lion, emblem of the Sancha family and a symbol of virtue and maturity;
- a tree, emblem of the Hervás family and a symbol of growth;
- a cross, emblem of redemption and a symbol of love, sacrifice and charity;
- a collar, emblem of the awards granted to Cardinal Sancha.
http://www.colegiocardenalsancha.edu.co/simbolos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
"Colegio de la Libertad" was founded on 5 February
1868 in the presbytery of Palmira (Department of Valle), with
classes in French, Spanish, Arithmetics, Economics and Geography.
The institute was subsequently relocated into a former colonial
tobbaco warehouse; in 1929, it was renamed "Colegio de
Cárdenas", as a tribute to the local politician Vincent de
Cárdenas (1811-1880), Senator and Governor of different
In September 2002 (Decree No. 1784), the Department of Valle split "Colegio de Cárdenas"; the former secondary seat of the institute located in the borough of Mirriñao became "Institución Educativa Cárdenas de Mirriñao", incorporating the "Benilda Caicedo", "Ricardo Nieto", "Gran Colombia" institutes and "Centro de Educación Especial Carlos Arturo Rodríguez".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the webpage of the institute, is vertically divided crimson-white-blue, representing the religious values, purity, and the seas and heavens, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2009
image from <web.uautonoma.edu.co>
The Universidad Autónoma del Caribe (Autonomous University of
the Caribbean) is located in Barranquilla.
The university flag can be seen at <web.uautonoma.edu.co>:
"Al igual que el escudo, la creación de la bandera, se
remonta a los orígenes de la Universidad. Una raya transversal
de color amarillo cae sobre un fondo rojo. El centro de la
bandera de la Universidad Autónoma del Caribe, está engalanado
con el escudo.".
Ron Lahav and Eugene Ipavec, 18 February 2007
The UAC or Uniautónoma (Universidad Autónoma del Caribe) was founded on July
Its flag is seen in the following pictures: Picture 1 (Source: http://www.eduplan.us/es/executive/ ) (The flag is the second from left to right)
Picture 2 (Source: http://amisraelcolombia.org/5221-aprendiendo-a-convivir-por-ti-por-mi/silvia-guette-rectora-universidad-autonoma-del-caribe) (The flag is the second from left to right)
The flag is a horizontal yellow flag with the logo in the middle.
For further information please see: UAC (official website)
Esteban Rivera, 06 June 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 17 November 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Carlos Alberto Olano Valderrama is located in
Belén (Boyacá Department). The institute is named for the lawyer Dr. Carlos
Alberto Olano Valderrama (d. 1993), Professor of Constitutional Law at
Universidad La Gran Colombia (1970-1795), of Transportation Law at Universidad
Santo Tomás (1976) and of Constitutional Law at Universidad Militar Nueva
Granada (1976-1984). He was Senator (1961-1966) and Minister of Work and Public
Safety (1965-1966). In Belén, he managed a cheese factory with his uncle Marco
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-green (2:1:1).
Source: http://iecaovbelen.jimdo.com/s%C3%ADmbolos-institucionales/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
INEM Carlos Arturo Torres was established in Tunja (Boyacá Department) by
Decree No. 1,962 of 20 November 1969. Classes started on 1 April 1972.
The institute is named for the writer, journalist and politician Carlos Arturo Torres Peña (1867-1911). He published in 1909 his three most significant works, "Obra Poética", "Estudios Ingleses", and "Idola Fori". A moderate member of the Liberal Party, he served as Ministry of the Treasure (1903) and Ministry of the Interior (1904).
The symbols of the institute was designed by the teachers Ernesto Hernández Zambrano (Department of Industrial Education) and Blanca Mancipe de Hernández (Department of Humanities and Spanish language). The flag is red with a broad white diagonal stripe charged with the institute's emblem. The emblem features a double-headed eagle, the heraldic emblem of the town of Tunja.
Source: http://inemtunja.edu.co/institucional_simbolos.php - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 8 January 2009
"Instituto Tecnológico Carlos Hernández Yaruro"
located in the village of La Ermita, Municipality of Ocaña,
Department of Norte del Santander, was recognized by the
Department of Norte del Santander on 19 May 1997 (Decree No.
016), as the successor of an institute founded in 1945 by the
late Dr. Carlos Hernández Yaruro for the education of farmers'
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-dark red ("vino tinto", lit., "red wine").
White means purity and loyalty, commitment to conquest and preservation of peace.
Dark red means the products of effort.
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
Colegio Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda (COLCAJUTO), located in Abrego
(Department of Norte de Santander), was founded on 6 July 1988 by Carlos Julio
Torrado Peñaranda; on 30 September 2002, Departmental Decree No. 764 created
Institución Educativa Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda by the merging of Colegio
Carlos Julio Torrado Peñaranda, Escuela Simón Bolívar and Escuela La Piñuela.
The flag of COLCAJUTO, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is yellow with a green triangle placed along the hoist and separated from the yellow field by two chevrons, white and blue, respectively. Green represents the aspiration to an educational project and the green pastures. White represents peace and tolerance encompassed in the educational project. Blue represents the sky and the crystalline local waters. Yellow represents light and wealth.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
Institución Educativa Carlos Pérez Escalante was established in 2002 in
Cúcuta (Norte de Santander Department) as the merger of Colegio Departamental
Carlos Pérez Escalante (est. by Ordinance No. 15 of 30 November 1978), Colegio
Departamental Integrado San Luis (est. by Ordinance No. 21 of 7 December 1987),
Escuela Marco Fidel Suárez (est. in 1900, as Escuela Pública de Varones),
Escuela Santa Isabel de Hungria (est. by Decree No. 618 of 7 February 1988), and
Escuela Nuestra Señora de Chiquinquira (est. 21 February 1973). The institute is
named for Carlos Pérez Escalante, Governor of the Norte de Santander Department
The flag of the institute, designed by Cristóbal Molina García, is horizontally divided green-white-red with the institute's emblem in the middle, a yellow star in the middle of the green stripe, a yellow star in the middle of the red star, and two yellow stars surrounding the emblem in the white stripe. Green is a symbol of hope, prosperity, and natural environment. White is a symbol of purity and honesty. Red is a symbol of force, energy, blood, and power. The stars represent the four schools merged to form the institute.
Source: http://iecarpes.edu.co/portal/nuestro-colegio/simbolos/ - Institute's website
The emblem of the institute, designed by Ramiro Rozo Gómez, is diagonally divided by a green-white-red stripe, representing the institute's flag. The golden background represents our resources. The upper part of the emblem features a book inscribed with the letters "IECPE", the institute's initials. The book is a symbol of knowledge. The lower part of the emblem features a burning torch, representing the master who shows the light and the way to knowledge.
The shield has a white border inscribed with the name of the institute and charged in the upper part with four yellow stars, as on the flag. The shield is surmounted by a red scroll inscribed with "EXCELENCIA" (Excellence) in black letters, symbolizing the mission, vision, and philosophy of the institute. Beneath the shield, another red scroll is inscribed with the institute's motto, "Ciencia y Virtud" (Science and Virtue).
Source: http://iecarpes.edu.co/portal/nuestro-colegio/simbolos/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 22 September 2014
Institución Educativa Carlos Vieco Ortiz was established in San Javier (Antioquia
Department) by Resolution No. 16,432 of 20 December 2010, as the separation of
three components from Institución Educativa Benedikta Zur Nieden: Escuela Vieco
Ortiz, Escuela Municipal San Javier, and Escuela Juan de Dios Aránzazu. The
institute is named for the musician and composer Carlos Vicente Ortiz
(1905-1975), of national and international fame, author of more than 3,000 works.
Source: http://www.carlosvieco.edu.co - Institute's website
The flag is horizontally divided orange-white-blue (2:1:2), with the institute's emblem in the middle. Orange, taken from the flag of Escuela Vieco Ortiz, is a symbol of force and enthusiasm for integral education of respectful and responsible men and women. White, taken from the flag of Escuela Municipal San Javier, is a symbol of peace, purity, and open expression of the students, commitment to truth, and belonging to the institute. Blue, taken from the flag of Escuela Juan de Dios Aránzazu, is a symbol of serenity, faith, creativity, harmony, and tolerance.
The emblem of the institute is made of a Swiss-shaped shield placed on a white background and surrounded by a ring inscribed with the name of the institute in black letters. The shield is horizontally divided in three horizontal stripes. The upper, orange and white stripe, is structured like a curtain, as a symbol of the opening of the institute to change, and inscribed with the institute's values, "TOLERANCIA" (Tolerance), "PERTINENCIA" (Belonging), "RESPETO" (Respect), and "RESPONSABILIDAD" (Responsibility). The median, blue stripe, is charged with the symbol of perpetual improvement, based on the cycle "To plan, to act, to check, to adjust". Inside the cycle is an antenna symbolizing the used of technological means of information for the improvement of basic skills, and, on its side, the checking symbol that allows the identification of improvement actions. The lower, orange stripe is charged with an open book, whose left page is inscribed with the letters "ABC".
Source: http://www.carlosvieco.edu.co/gestion-directiva/simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 22 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Escuela Colombiana de Carreras Industríales"
(ECCI), founded in 1977 in Bogotá, was recognized by the
Ministry of National Education on 25 October 1978 (Decree No.
15572) as "Escuela Colombiana de Carreras Intermedias"
and confirmed under its present name on 28 March 1985 (Decree No.
2683). ECCI provides professional technical education in
industrial mechanics, computer science, telecommunications,
environmental development, entrepreneurial development, fashion
design, tax and customs management, and international trade and
negotiation. ECCI signed on 22 September 1995 a partnership
agreement with the Santiago University of Cali.
The flag of ECCI, as shown graphically on the ECCI website, is white with a thin blue border and the emblem of the ECCI in the middle.
The emblem of ECCI shows "the sun of hope enlighting the country" over three green mounds representing the three cordilleras of Colombia. Below is placed the blue book, indeed the logo of ECCI. The border of the shield bears the foundation year and the name of the institute in black capital letters.
The logo of ECCI is a blue book, symbolizing knowledge, whose cover is quartered by a cross symbolizing the faith in Jesus and the letters "E", "C", "C" and "I" in the respective quarters.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
Fundación Instituto Superior de Carreras Técnicas (INSUTEC) was established
in 1977 by Carmen Patricia Chiriví Pinzón, Luz Helena Ballestas de Vargas, and
Luis Hernando Ballestas Rincón. The institute was officially approved by
Resolution No. 6,366 of 20 April 1979.
All members of the academic community are invited to select the flag of the institute, via a (password-protected) website. Deadline for the votes is 30 October 2014.
Source: http://www.insutec.edu.co/site/290 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 29 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Cartagena de Indías" was founded on 1 February
1848 in Cartagena de Indías (Bolívar Department).
The flag of the institute is presented graphically on the "Manuel de Convivencia" as a square flag, horizontally divided light blue-white.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
The CASD (Centro Auxiliares de Servicios Docentes) program was established by
State Decree No. 327 of 19 February 1979. Twenty-three centers were created in
the main town of the country, each of them connecting a network of schools. The
Quindío CASD was inaugurated in Armenia in 1981, providing support in the areas
of Industry, Health and Nutrition, Commerce, and Life Sciences to 12 schools.
Institución Educativa CASD was eventually established by Resolution No. 330 of
16 April 2004.
The public competition for the design of the flag and anthem of CASD is open to the institute's educative community. Proposals should be submitted from 5 September to 14 October 2014. The proposals will be reviewed from 16 to 24 October. The winning designs will be proclaimed on 28 October and unveiled on 14 November, during the "Night of the Majors" institutional event.
Source: http://www.casdquindio.edu.co/?mod=p&id=165&t=n&r=b - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 12 September 2014
Colegio Nacional Académico de Cartago was established on 5 September 1839 by
Presidential Decree, replacing a Franciscan convent. Incorporated to the
National University in 1887, the institute was transferred in March 1887 to the
Society of Jesus. Suspended in 1891 by National Decree No. 452 because of the "lack
of subordination to discipline by the students" , the institute was renamed in
1897 Liceo del Quindo, and eventually closed in 1912 and replaced by an Escuela
Superior where agriculture and mechanics were taught, re-established the next
year, the Liceo regained its autonomy in 1915. The institute was nationalized on
1 October 1939. Institución Educativa Académico was eventually established by
Resolution No. 1,664 of 3 September 2002, as the merger of Colegio Nacional
Académico, Centro Docente No. 48 Antonio José de Sucre, Centro Docente No. 47
Paulina Balcázar, and Centro Docente Roberto Castaño.
Source: http://www.ieacademico.edu.co - Institute's website
The symbols of the institute are prescribed by Resolution No. 14 of 14 April 2010. The flag is prescribed in Article 2 as horizontally divided "vert (green) - argent (white) - gules (red)". Green is a symbol of faith, friendship, service, respect, youth, and hope. White is a symbol of purity, integrity, obedience, firmness, and eloquence. Red is a symbol of force, victory, audacity, and highness.
Source: http://www.ieacademico.edu.co/index.php?ir=simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
Law 48 issued in 1945 prescribed the foundation of four
"Colegios Mayores" of Cundinamarca (in Bogotá),
Antioquia (in Medellín), Bolívar (in Carthagena) and Cauca (in
Popayán). The most recent of the four institutes, "Colegio
Mayor del Cauca" was inaugurated on 13 November 1967 as
"Colegio Mayor de Cultura Popular del Cauca".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is vertically divided blue-yellow-blue with the institute's
logotype in the top of the yellow stripe. The first two stripes seem to be of the same width and the third one much wider.
Yellow is the colour of the sun, of light, life, action and power. It symbolizes strength, will and stimulation. It represents the human intelligence enlightened by the divine revelation. According to Vincent Van Gogh, yellow represents "friendship and love".
Blue represents intelligence and deep emotions. It is the colour of the infinite and of the dreams. It symbolizes wisdom, loyalty, eternal truth and immortality.
The first logotype of the institute was prescribed by Decree No. 019 of the Board of Directors, adopted on 1 November 2001. It represents "El Camarín" framed in a white rectangle with a blue border outlined in yellow and charged with the name of the institute in white capital letters.
"El Camarín", lit. the Cabinet, was designed in 1760 by the German architect Simon Schendherr on the facade of the second floor of the Church of the Incarnation. It represents the communication between the inside and outside words. "El Camarín" has three windows, two rectangle on the sides and one circular in the main axis, symbolizing a large eye always watching the ever changing cosmos.
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2008
The current logotype was adopted in 2009 by the Board of Directors. It
features a schematic, blue representation of "El Camarín" placed on a yellow
background and framed with a blue rectangle with rounded-off angles.
http://www.colmayorcauca.edu.co/unimayor/page/logotipo - Logotype
Ivan Sache, 22 July 2014
"Corporación Universitaria Autonoma del
Cauca", recognized by the Ministry of National
Education on 7 April 2003 (Decree No. 677), is the legal sucessor
of "Corporación UCICA", founded in 1979 in Popayán
and recognized by the Ministry of National Education in 1984
(Decree No. 13002).
The flag of the university, as shown graphically on the university's website, is blue with four thin yellow stripes in the lower part of the flag and the emblem of the university in the middle. The emblem of the university is a blue shield with stylized yellow letters "C" and "A" surrounding a blue sphere. The shield is surmonted by the name of the university in yellow letters.
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2008
image by Carlos Thompson, 22 March 2003
Acording to the site of the Universidad del Cauca <www.unicauca.edu.co>,
the flag has 12 stripes.
From the site: "Formada por doce barras azules y rojas de igual tamano, alternadas y colocadas perpendicularmente al asta, fue adoptada en la misma fecha y por el mismo Acuerdo de Alta Corporación Universitaria, con ocasión de conmemorarse un ano más de su fundación del Alma Mater." [Formed by twelve equalsized stripes alterned blue and red, perpendicular to the hoist, was adopted the same date (November 7, 1922) and by the same Agreement of High University Corporation (Consejo Directivo Universitario) in conmemoration of one more year of the fundation of the Alma Mater.]
Carlos Thompson, 22 March 2003
Universidad del Cauca was founded in Popayán on 11 November
1827. Among his famous alumni are Presidents of the Republic
José Hilario López Valdes (1849-1853), Ezequiel Hurtado (1864),
Julián Trujillo (1878-1880) and Guillermo León Valencia
The flag in real use is shown in several scenes of the video celebrating the university's 180th anniversary.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2014
Liceo Caucasia is located in Caucasia (Antioquia Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided (4:1:1:2) yellow-white-red-green. Yellow is a symbol of spiritual resources. White is a symbol of peace, tranquillity, and of the search for interior spirituality. Red is a symbol of cultural struggle against ignorance, and of clarity and splendour of knowledge. Green is a symbol of aspiration to a better future.
Source: http://liceocaucasia2012.blogspot.fr/2012/12/la-bandera-de-la-ie-liceo-caucasia.html - Walter Tuiran's blog
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2014