Last modified: 2015-02-01 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 29 January 2009
"Institución Educativa 'Gabriel Garcia Márquez'"
is located in the borough of Marruecos, Municipality of Corozal,
Department of Sucre. The institute is named after the writer
Gabriel Garcia Márquez (b. 1927), awarded the Nobel Prize in
Literature in 1982.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-green. White represent our dreams and green our hope in a better future.
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2009
image by Željko Heimer, 13 December 2005
Institución Educativa Técnica en Gestión Empresarial Gabriela Mistral is
located in El Cármen de Bolívar (Bolívar Department). The institute is named for
the Chilean poetess Gabriela Mistral (1889-1957), who was awarded in 1945 the
Nobel Prize in literature.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-red with a square blue canton charged with a white star, that is, similar to the Chilean flag. This is, most probably, not a mere coincidence but a tribute to the country of the institute's namesake.
Source: http://carmeninfos.com/grupo2/index.php/bandera - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Gachetá" originates in a girls' institute founded
in 1932 in Gachetá (Cundinamarca Department) by Abdón López Ayala, the parish
priest. In 1956, the institute was renamed "Escuela Normal de La Presentación".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided yellow-green.
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
On 5 April 2011, the Governing Board of the institute approved a public
contest to change the flag and emblem of the institute. The proposed new flag
would keep the yellow and green colours, and would include an additional white
stripe, and, in the middle, a shield. Three years later, the original symbols
are still shown on the institute's website; accordingly, the contest must have
Source: http://escuelanormalsuperiordegacheta.wordpress.com/tag/reforma-de-escudo-bandera/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2014
Colegio General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla is located in the Lagos de Castilla
borough, part of the municipality of Kennedy (Bogotá). The institute is named
for General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla (1900-1975), President of the Republic of
Colombia from 1953 to 1957.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-green. Blue is a symbol of trust, harmony, stability, affect, friendship, loyalty and love. Green is a symbol of hope, youth, balance and natural environment.
http://colegio.redp.edu.co/gustavorojasp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3:informacion-institucional&catid=6:infinst&Itemid=12 - Institute webpage
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
The College was founded in 1997 in Ipiales, Narino department.
Its flag is horizontally divided yellow-blue with a white
triangle placed along the hoist.
Source: <www.voluntad.com.co> [defunct], located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
https://web.archive.org/web/20040609004034/http://www.voluntad.com.co/voluntad/colegios/16159/index.htm - Institute's website (archived)
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 01 October 2012
The Colegio Departamental "General Pedro José Sarmiento" was established in
Socha by the Decree of 22 November 1961. In 1976, the institute was renamed
Instituto Integrado Nacionalizado "Pedro José Sarmiento" by Decree no. 594.
Decree No. 306 of 15 February 2002 renamed it Colegio "Pedro José Sarmiento".
General Pedro José Sarmiento was President of the Boyacá Department in the late
Source: http://colegiopjs.es.tl/ - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-green.
Source: http://www.socha-boyaca.gov.co/apc-aa-files/33383463363735336232333366366365/SIMBOLOS_DE_LA_INSTITUCION_1.pdf - Socha official website
Ivan Sache, 01 October 2012
image by Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
Colegio General Santander, founded in 1940 and renamed for a few years as
Colegio Telmo Acevedo Ardila, is the oldest official educational institute in
the Department of Arauca. Originally intended for boys only, the institute was
opened to girls in 1968; it caters today some 1,300 alumni.
The flag of Colegio General Santander, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided bright yellow-green. Bright yellow represents wealth, ripe fruit and solar light. Green represents emerald, the fabulous gem that is the pride of Colombia, and silent beauty. The same colors are used on the institute's coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
Escuela Normal Genoveva Díaz was established in San Jerónimo (Antioquia
Department) in 1958; to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the poet and
jurisconsult Marcel Díaz, the school was named for his mother, Genoveva.
The flag of the institute is vertically divided blue-white-blue. Blue is a symbol of justice, virtue, and loyalty. White is a symbol of chastity and purity.
Source: http://genovevadiaz.blogspot.fr/2009/01/escudo.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
Gimnasio Campestre George Berkeley was established in 1986 in Usaquén
(Bogotá), and transferred to Suba in 2005. The institute is named for the Irish
philosopher and humanist George Berkeley (1685-1753)
The flag of the institute is vertically divided green-white-orange with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of life, tranquillity, and hope. White is a symbol of peace and triumph. Orange is a symbol of joy, energy, felicity, and creativity.
The emblem of the institute features a shield shaped like a trophy, which means triumph. The shield is charged with three symbols highlighting the skills of George Berkeley: science (Greek letter π), education (book), and sports (torch). The shield is surmounted by a golden crown representing triumph and supremacy. Beneath the shield is a white scroll inscribed with the institute's motto "LEALTAD DISCIPLINA ESTUDIO" (Loyalty Discipline Study)
Source: http://gimberkeley.edu.co/insignias-2/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014
Liceo Infantil Getsemani is located in Buenaventura (Valle Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue. White is a symbol of peace. Blue is a symbol of creative spirit.
Source: http://liceoinfantilgetsemani.mex.tl/frameset.php?url=/1228919_Escudo--Bandera--Himno-al-LICEO-INFANTIL-GETSEMANI.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 01 August 2014
Colegio Departamental 'Gilberto Álzate Avendaño was established by
Departmental Ordinance No. 7 of 4 December 1992 in Villa Bolivar borough, part
of the municipality of Villaviciencio (Meta Department). Classes started on 22
February 1993. The institute is named for the lawyer Dr. Gilberto Álzate
Avendaño (1910-1960), a Conservative politician who was elected Senator and
appointed Ambassador of Colombia in Spain.
The flag of the institute, approved in 1996, is horizontally divided green-blue-yellow with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the institute's emblem. Green, a symbol of balance and levelheadedness, invites to move forwards, recalls the relation with the natural environment and the immensity of the plains. It is also a symbol of youth, friendship and good fellowship.
Blue represents the sky above the plains, intelligence, truth; and knowledge of the students. White represents the students' innocence and tranquillity.
Source: http://gilbertoalzatea.blogspot.fr/ - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 01 August 2014
Flag as prescribed
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
Colegio Gilberto Álzate Avendaño was established in Argelia (Valle del Cauca
Department) by Departmental Ordinance No. 10 of 13 November 1961. The institute
is named for Dr. Gilberto Álzate Avendaño (1910-1960), lawyer, Conservative
politician, Senator and Ambassador of Colombia in Spain.
The flag of the institute, designed in 1962 by Glicerio Herrera, the first director of the institute, is horizontally divided green-white-fuchsia with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist. Green is a symbol of aspiration to a better future and of love for natural and ambient environment. White is a symbol of the purity of mind, honor, honesty, beauty and values required for a peaceful social interaction. Fuchsia is a symbol of force, sacrifice, abnegation, struggle and leadership. Yellow is a symbol of intellectual resources, wisdom and knowledge.
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
blog describes the flag has fuchsia-white-green - also shown on the border
of the institute's blog, but shows the drawing of a white-purple-green flag.
photos show the flag in use as green-white-fuchsia!
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 24 November 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Agroindustrial Giovanni Cristini
Cristini is located in El Carmen de Bolívar (Bolívar Department).
Concentración de Hogares Juveniles Campesinos was established on 8
February 1986, and soon renamed - in July 1986 - Escuela Urbana
Concentración Campesina Eva Sol Caballero by the institute's founder,
Father Giovanni Cristini Cristini (d. 1998), and the institute's
director, Marvin Torres. Concentración Escolar Giovanni Cristini
Cristini was established by Departmental Decree no. 160 as the merger
of Escuela Urbana Concentración Campesina Eva Sol Caballero and
Escuela Urbana Mixta John F. Kennedy, and renamed Centro Educativo
Giovanni Cristini Cristini by Departmental Ordinance No. 20 of 29
The flag of the institute is presented in Article 18.104.22.168 of the Institutional Educational Project, as vertically divided green-white- red. Green represents hope and the resources of the municipality. White represents peace. Red represents passion and willingness of people to rebuild the local society.
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 11 August 2014
Institución Educativa Gonzalo Restrepo Jaramillo is located in Buenos Aires
borough, part of the municipality of Medellin (Antioquia Department).
The institute is named for the Conservator politician Gonzalo Restrepo Jaramillo (1896-1966), Ambassador of Colombia in the USA (1947) and Minister of Foreign Affairs (1950), director of the newspaper "El Conservador".
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-purple-gray.
Source: http://karen-wwwkarenblog.blogspot.fr/ - Institute's unofficial blog
Ivan Sache, 11 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
"Colegio Campester Goyavier" was inaugurated on 5 February 2000 in Ruitoque
Bajo, Floridablanca (Santander Department). "Goyavier" means "to come to God
through arts and science". The word also includes the name of one of the most
famous painters, Francisco José de Goya, the precursor of modern European
A photo available on the institute's website shows a self-portrait by Goya flanked by the national flag of Colombia and the flag of the institute, horizontally divided orange-yellow-green. "Light chromium orange" represents wisdom and knowledge. "Naples yellow" represents the growth and maturation of the human being in all his dimensions: affective, cognitive, physical, spiritual and social. Green represents the process of development of the students.
Ivan Sache, 09 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014
Colegio Comercial Granbogotano was established on 6 August 1988 in Perpetuo
Socorro borough (Bogotá).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green-red.
http://pwp.etb.net.co/rnavarro/simbolos.html - Institute's website
http://pwp.etb.net.co/rnavarro/index.html - Photo
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 04 October 2014
Institución Educativa Gran Colombia was established in Guadalajara de Buga
(Valle Department) by Resolution No. 1,442 of 4 September 2002, as the merger of
Centro Docente Gran Colombia, Centro Docente Absalón Fernández de Soto, and
Centro Docente No. 9 Guadalajara.
The flag of the institute is described in Article 31 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebbok, as horizontally divided green-white-blue (1:2:1). Green is a symbol of work. White is the symbol of search for harmony. Blue is a symbol of unity.
Source: http://institucioneducativagrancolombia.es.tl/MANUAL-DE-CONVIVENCIA.htm - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 21 June 2014
Gimnasio Gran Colombiano School is based in Ibagué (Tolima
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-yellow, with the institute's emblem in the middle. White is a symbol of innocence, peace, tranquillity and purity. Yellow is a symbol of sunlight, gold, wealth, and of the way towards light and truth.
The emblem features an eagle, representing highness, knowledge, greatness, and the wide and progressivist horizon; the flags of Colombia and Tolima Department; and a pre-Columbian figure representing the past, present and future regional identity.
Ivan Sache, 21 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
The first agricultural school in Buga was established in 1941, succeeding the
Granja Agrícola de Buga founded three years earlier on a 100-ha plot offered by
Luisa de la Espada for social purposes. The school was transformed into
Instituto Técnico Agrícola (ITA) in 1966. ITA was subsequently recognized as the
alma mater of rural education in Colombia. Institución Educativa Agrícola de
Guadalajara de Buga was eventually established in 2002 as the merger of ITA,
Unidad Docente María Luisa de la Espada, and Escuela Antonio José de Sucre.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white. White is a symbol of peace, innocence, and tranquillity. Green is a symbol of vegetation, hope, freshness, friendship, respect, youth, and liberty.
Source: http://www.itabachillerato.edu.co/html/Nuestra_institucion_simbolos.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 16 November 2014
Institución Educativa Municipal Guavio Bajo is located in Fusagasugá
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green-white. The flag was adopted in 1996 after a contest in the school, won by the student Hernán David Betancourth Murillo. The white stripes, covering 2/3 of the flag area, represents the beauty and purity of the natural environment, and the vigour of the body and soul of the children, teenagers, adults and elders, of the Christian faith and of the aspired peace. The central green stripe, covering 1/3 of the flag area, alludes to the vegetation and to the diversity of the forest resources, and the miracle of agriculture, the base of the regional income.
Source: http://iemguaviobajo.do.am/index/nuestros_simbolos/0-5 - Institute's website
The flag in actual use features the institute's emblem in the middle of the green stripe.
Ivan Sache, 16 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 15 December 2008
"Liceo de Guilford" is located in Bogotá.
The flag of the institute is vertically divided blue-white-green, the white stripe being wider than the two others, with the emblem of the institute in the middle. The emblem of the institute is made of a white shield "charged" with a green tree and the blue letters "LdG"; the name of the institute is written in white letters on a blue scroll placed below the shield.
The flag is shown on a photograph available on the institute's website, together with the flags of Colombia and Bogotá.
Ivan Sache, 15 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 06 August 2014
Institución Departamental Guillermo Quevedo Zornoza was established in 1978
in Zipaquirá (Cundinamarca Department).
The institute is named for the local musician Guillermo Quevedo Zornoza (1882-1964), who composed, among other works, the municipal anthem of Zipaquirá.
The flag of the institute is diagonally divided, per bend sinister, yellow-blue-white, with the institute's emblem in the middle of the blue stripe. The scroll beneath the emblem is inscribed with the institute's motto, "ALEGRIA CIENCIA Y PAZ" (Joy Science and Peace).
Source: http://www.guillermoquevedoz.edu.co/juegos-intercolegiados-del-magisterio-de-zipaquira-2014/ - Photo
Ivan Sache, 06 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 28 September 2014
Institución Educativa Gustavo Cote Uribe was established in 2000 in the María
Paz del Norte borough, part of the municipality of Bucaramanga (Santander
The institute is named for the poet and Liberal politician Gustavo Cote Uribe (1918-1994), also the namesake of the Bucaramanga poetry contest.
The flag of the institute is prescribed in Article 8.2 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook, as vertically divided red-green with the institute's emblem in the middle. Red is a symbol of love and understanding. Green is a symbol of hope and dreams, and of reconciliation with the natural environment.
The emblem of the institute is circular, as a symbol of unity and cohesion. If features a family, as a symbol of love and unity; the institute's motto, "DIOS Y PAZ" (God and Peace); branches of laurel, as a symbol of triumph; and a sun, as a symbol of source of life and human heat.
Ivan Sache, 28 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 September 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Industrial Gustavo Jiménez is located in
Sogamoso (Boyacá Department). The institute is named for the lawyer and
politician Dr. Gustavo Jiménez, who died in September 1948 during a session of
the Chamber of Representatives.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white. Green is a symbol of growth, hope, commitment, and intellectual surpassing. White is a symbol of affirmation of life, values, good practices, and firm commitment to the establishment of peace. The two colours are the symbol to technical and industrial education, which was introduced to Colombia in 1955 by the Lasallians.
Ivan Sache, 08 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 15 September 2014
Institución Educativa Gustavo Matamoros D'Costa was established in 1978 in
Armenia (Quindío, Department). The institute is named for General Gustavo
Matamoros D'Costa (1928-1984), Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of
Colombia and Minister of Defence (1984).
Source: http://www.gustavomatamoros.edu.co - Institute's website
The symbols of the institute are prescribed in Article 6 of the institute's Etiquette Guidebook. The flag is horizontally divided blue-white-green, with the institute's emblem in the middle. Blue is a symbol of deepness and confidence. White is a symbol of peace and youth. Green is a symbol of the natural environment.
The emblem of the institute is made of a shield inscribed in a ring charged with the name and place of the institute. The shield is diagonally divided. The upper part, blue, represents the water resources. It is charged with a dove holding a branch of olive, as a symbol of peace, and with two hands holding an open book, as a symbol of knowledge. The lower part, white, represents transparency. It is charged with a Quindio wax palm [_Ceroxylon quindiuense_ (Karst.) H. Wendl.], the Quindio national tree, and with a rising sun, as a symbol of light and life. The year of foundation of the institute, "1978", appears at the base of the shield. The shield is surrounded by the institute's motto, "HONOR DISICPLINA CIENCIA" (Honour, Discipline, Science).
Source: http://www.gustavomatamoros.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=181 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 15 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 5 February 2009
"Unidad Educativa 'Gustavo Villa Díaz'" was founded
in 1972, as "Colegio 'Henry García Bohórquez'", in
Arauca, Department of Arauca. Renamed "Colegio 'Gustavo
Villa Díaz'" on 23 February 1981, the institute was
transferred from the Police department to the municipality of
Arauca on 4 August 2000.
The institute is named after its founder, the policeman and educator Gustavo Villa Díaz (1944-1980).
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is divided white-olive green by the descending diagonal.
White represents peace, purity and greatness of the institute, expressed via tenderness and work.
Olive green represents the immensity of the plains and the aspiration to progress of the students.
The flag is shown as a shield charged with a torch and a book in the white and green fields, respectively, on the emblem of the institute.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2009